197 Cup. Nimbus. Recaros.

sir_dave

Paid Member
Picked this up on Saturday from Steve Murr - who had very kindly kept it for 3 weeks for me whilst i sold the fleet of BMW's ... Generally in pretty mint condition, after no doubt having approximately 15 layers of polish/wax/other detailing things lavished on it buffer.gif

Spec wise, its Nimbus, which seems to be fairly rare on the Cup, with Recaros. No aircon though, although i cant actually remember the last time i used it anyway, so not overly bothered.

First impressions are pretty good:

Brakes are epic, albeit a little sharp, resulting in some rather embarrasing moments where Sarah nearly went through the windscreen.
Steering is light but fairly direct & weighs up considerably at speed.
Gearbox is fantastic, with nicely spaced ratios and a really short throw!! A pleasure to use in fact, really keeps the engine on the boil.
Engine seems nicely torquey at under 3k rpm, so i can pootle around in traffic/town with ease, then seems to go slightly berserk at 5k and scream towards the redline - more so than the Trophy i think, & feels considerably smoother, almost v-tec like.
Exhaust is some handmade aftermarket thing, sounds awesome from 6k onwards - kinda like a cross between an angry darth vader and a hoover - and then pops on the overrun. It will p1ss me off after about 2 weeks of motoway use though, so ive got the standard one as well.

Seats are uber comfy, although set quite high, although being fairly vertically challenged this does help me see over the dashboard.
Interior is ok, dashboard isnt as bad as i was expecting and it doesnt rattle, much. The steering wheel trim moves around though, so might have to get the superglue out. Have bought an armrest already though, having nowhere to rest my left arm is irriating after all those BMW's.
Looks wise, compared the 1*2 it seems massive!! Although it is quite obviously the 'sporty' variant with bulging arches, big wheels/brakes and that silly aero valance thing. The addition of the 'SX' (i think) spoiler also finishes the rear end of nicely. Dont think the Speedlines or Cup soiler suit nimbus, so the outside will most certainly be staying standard. Bar some silvervisions of course.

Negatives so far are fairly limited, although i havent really stretched its legs yet. The pedals seem further apart than the 1*2 so heel & toe is going to need some technique changes. In addition, the acelerator pedal seems somewhat lifeless, meaning that blipping the throttle for H&T is going to need far more of a 'push' than in the Trophy.

Also, while we're on the subject of pedals, they vibrate really badly at anything over 50mph, almost like the feeling you get through the steering wheel when the wheels are imbalanced - although through the pedals instead? Hopefully this has nothing to do with Renault fitting a new 'box 500 miles ago ...

So, some pics ... though id take some whilst its clean, probably wont be again

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
7a.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
10a.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

Girlfriend also hates it. Apparently im a pleb for selling an M3 for 'another sodding clio' ... :bash:

You forgot the best bit, handling :wink:

Looks very nice mate, grey raiders are def better than speed lines on nimbus! Enjoy.

You forgot the best bit, handling :wink:

Cant really comment on that yet, on driven it on the motorway!!

On & the 'Fortuna' tyres on the front will no doubt make it understeer like a pig :oops: Will offer some more thoughts on handling once my 4 x Hankook are fitted ...

Great colour :thumbup1:

My clutch pedal moves a little, maybe it's a cup thing.

Just got through the 1st tank of fuel. Trip computer said 29.2mpg lol .... although that has included 85% use in the BMW lane of my private road, at a consistent speed of circa 75-90 leptons. However, after hearing that they arent the most accurate & tend to underread, i thought id work it out manually as well. But no, it is actually doing 29.2mpg :oops:

Also, the front 'Fontuna' tyres are quite simply awful, wet/greasy roads last night = huge understeer/wheelspin. The latter being especially impressive considering the huge hole in the power/torque curve at 3-4k rpm. Above that however, it is really rather good fun, again, the gearbox really does help keep it on the boil from 2nd through 5th - very similar to the old Gti6 box imho, not brilliant from a standing start, but once moving, very well spaced ratios ...

:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: very nice indeedy love nimbus
Given me idea as well now about my wheels

Nice looking car Dave (or should I call you sir?). I always think the darker coloured wheels suit the Nimbus pretty well.

Seats are uber comfy, although set quite high, although being fairly vertically challenged this does help me see over the dashboard.

^^ that makes two of us!

I'd get rid of the ditchfinder 2000's though ASAP. Hankooks (v12 EVO) or original Conti's are popular but some have gone for vreidstein (sp?) lately.

Also there's not been a single request for pictures of the woman in the passenger side, now aren't we civilised? :smiley:

Also, the front 'Fontuna' tyres are quite simply awful, wet/greasy roads last night = huge understeer/wheelspin. The latter being especially impressive considering the huge hole in the power/torque curve at 3-4k rpm. Above that however, it is really rather good fun, again, the gearbox really does help keep it on the boil from 2nd through 5th - very similar to the old Gti6 box imho, not brilliant from a standing start, but once moving, very well spaced ratios ...

I had some Rotalla F105s on 3 corners and a ContiSport 3 on the other. Truly amazing how **** they were in the wet, especially braking which was scary.

4 x Hankook K110 V12s later and it is 10x the car :smile:

Check Camskill for Hankooks btw, they were cheapest when I bought in December.

exhaust pipes?

No idea, its some customer made jobby. Previous owner was on here, but cant find any mention of where he had it done ...

Quite impressed with the lack of 'pics' requests of Sarah tbh, very civilised :tongue_smilie: But no, thats all you're getting lol.

No idea, its some customer made jobby. Previous owner was on here, but cant find any mention of where he had it done ...

Quite impressed with the lack of 'pics' requests of Sarah tbh, very civilised :tongue_smilie: But no, thats all you're getting lol.

Can you mesaure the outside diameter of the pipes, or take a closer picture of them? Thanks :smile: