1 Week on - 197 to 200

james_h

Platinum Member
As some of you know I chopped in the 197 for a 200 with Cup Chassis.

1 Week on I thought I would share a few of the positives I have enjoyed so far (about 100 miles)

Exterior:
Like Marmite I guess, but I love it. Gloss black bumper and lush looking front/rear diffusers gives an ultra modern image and brings the look up to date IMO. The rear exhaust trims look great.I love the Antracite RS cup alloys against the Red Brembo's and Albi paintwork.

Chassis (cup):
Completely different feel. Much firmer and so stiff, uneven road surfaces make you want to cry.(very similar to my 172 cup) High and low speed cornering is immense, it's just so hard to push this car to the limit as the limit is so high!. Tonnes less body roll, can't emphasise that enough. Much sharper/precise steering. Back breakingly hard ride. A class act IMO - well done Renault!

Interior:
Very similar but nice graphite dash inserts. Standard seats have grey/white bolsters which makes it feel very sporty. Dials look fab, yellow tacho looks great. The beep to change is a nice touch.

Engine/Gearbox:
Again, feels almost like a different engine and gearbox. 197 felt so flawed at low RPM in first which really disappointed me. Revised gearbox ratios so I believe, and more torque available lower down the rev range gives 1st and 2nd gears a total overhaul IMO. Out of first quicker and much better pick up below 4k.

MPG:
I have to mention it. Was getting about 24-26 to the Gallon (on a freshly serviced 197 as well), now averaging 30-35. 6th feels longer
and motorway driving now more efficient. That is about 50/50 split between town and motorway driving - driving very sensibly as well mind.

Thanks James, great review.
This is particularly useful as i am also thinking of upgrading, but was not sure it would be a waste of money!
Seems like they solved some of my main gripes with the 197 and as i'm currently returning 21 mpg the increase in fuel efficiency is very welcome.

All we need now are some more photos... not saying you need to go mad like i did but... :001_rolleyes:

Very balanced view and echoes others opinions. Def improvement.

Thanks litchy. The 197 is a great car, and actual number of differences are minimal. It's just the differences that are there are noticeabale improvements I would say on an already great car. Out of the bag performance the 197/200 is great in either standard or cup form IMO.

Thanks James, great review.
This is particularly useful as i am also thinking of upgrading, but was not sure it would be a waste of money!
Seems like they solved some of my main gripes with the 197 and as i'm currently returning 21 mpg the increase in fuel efficiency is very welcome.

All we need now are some more photos... not saying you need to go mad like i did but... :001_rolleyes:

I know mate, I have been up to my neck with work all week, and with the nights getting dark I have had no chance for photo's. Will deffo try and get some decent ones this weekend as the ones I took on the drive don't do it justice. I need some 'kosluk'esque' style ones. :thumbup:

IMO it's not a waste of money as there are improvments + the facelift + the fact it's a newer car. I don't there is anything out there £ for £ in this class that has the all round performance the clio offers.

Glad your enjoying it mate but like you say Marmite about the front I just can't get used to it but that's me

Still love mine, apart from the gearbox which is just horrid when cold.

Masa our resident Japanese expert was saying it might not actually be the gearbox thats the issue. Hes saying Renault (at least the Japanese side of things) are blaming the issues on crappy master cylinders that when cold arent able to disengage the hydrolic clutch fully, this then causes the gearbox to crunch between gears.

I think its early days but it does kinda tie in with what ive noticed of some members on here breaking down due to their master cylinders breaking and leaking all over the road leaving them stuck.

Great car and the 200 will be a good secondhand bargain in 12 months. I get the feeling the 250 will be even more so....