1/4 mile race setup on 197

Hi all, can u tell me what is the best setup on the standard car, for the 1/4 mile race strip? In terms of weight and stuff.

Should i take my seats out? and just keep drivers one?
will i feel the difference?

Less weight the better.

Best would be if you could have all the weight on the front wheels because of the weight transfer when launching.

Front tyres @ 2.0bar if CSC3 max. If using semislicks than 1.6bar but you need to warm them up.

Rear tyres should be @ 3.0bar if not more - because of less friction.

Take out all of the seats, and if you can, mount a bucket seat.

Taking as much weight out of it as possibe is all free too :thumbup1:

You want to stiffen the rear suspension up as much as possible but keep the front relatively soft. This prevents weight transfer on launch but the softer front end will keep it running straight and true off the line and down the bumps. You need to setup the ride height for 'rake' where the rears higher than the front, this also aids weight transfer.

This is assuming you have kw v3 or other adjustable dampers.

Personally though I'd concentrate on learning how to launch and gearshift before you get that involved.

Don't get me wrong, I don't do any competative racing or anything, so feel free to disregard this, but will the Clio be competative in this sort of sport?... Is it worth it?

A car that handles like this is probably best suited to the track - if you wanted a hot-hatch drag car, perhaps you should've got a VXR or a Focus or something?

Even better, you could get an old turbo Jap 4WD or something like that...

Don't get me wrong, I don't do any competative racing or anything, so feel free to disregard this, but will the Clio be competative in this sort of sport?... Is it worth it?

A car that handles like this is probably best suited to the track - if you wanted a hot-hatch drag car, perhaps you should've got a VXR or a Focus or something?

Indeed. Drag racing is the last thing that springs to mind when I think Clio 197/200.

1/4 mile for me is about getting the power down - take out too much weight and you will just spin the front wheels even more than they do already. (I found this out on the 172 cup top my dismay).

Of course, less weight will help in the long run, but first off I would look at getting a set of 2nd alloys and tyres maybe - something light and get something appropriate for the day (weather wise).. so slicks or semi slicks (eg Yokohama Advan A050s etc).

Suspension set up for me would come.. but later on - purely for 1/4 mile again power and traction comes top.

Clutch upgrade, LSD (Quaife etc) etc is probably way to go... nitrous oxide anyone?

Just turn up and have fun. Set of decent tyres on the front will be useful.

I wouldn't go to too much trouble though unless you're fighting for split seconds... Practice makes the biggest difference.

Or an old maestro :smiley:

http://youtu.be/IL4JBnj44To