Xenons fitted! But...

Not sure on the alignment side... Now I read a couple of guides that say how to adjust the heigh but I'm not actually sure what I'm looking for and what height the cut off should be at. Any help much appreciated ! Or piccies!

Probably best to get it done somewhere with the correct equipment, shouldn't cost much. There's nothing worse then being blinded by some lights from a car going in the opposite direction that aren't aligned correctly. You don't want to be that person.

I was always under the impression that you couldn't retrofit xenons to cars not specced with xenons from the factory, due to different wiring harnesses?

Not correct.
But if supplied from new then they will come with washer jet and auto balancing as standard.

But if you have the projector style headlights fitted and you add Xeons it will still pass the MOT and is legal.

as to the OP I just adjusted them to what I was used to seeing when driving during the night. Not to low that I can't see all the road ahead, but not to high that it would blind the person in front.

I have projectors with HID's , how do you adjust the level? I have them set to the highest setting on the switch in the car and they are still too low personally :\

If you open the bonnet and look down ontop of the headlights you will see a hole in the top of the black plastic slam panel. This hole "should" line up with the adjustment motor on the rear of the headlight cluster and will allow you to access the clear/white plastic cap with an Alan key.

At least this is how it works on the 200 :wink:

If you open the bonnet and look down ontop of the headlights you will see a hole in the top of the black plastic slam panel. This hole "should" line up with the adjustment motor on the rear of the headlight cluster and will allow you to access the clear/white plastic cap with an Alan key.

At least this is how it works on the 200 :wink:

yep same with the 197 as I had to adjust mine when I put the xeons in

Not correct.
But if supplied from new then they will come with washer jet and auto balancing as standard.

But if you have the projector style headlights fitted and you add Xeons it will still pass the MOT and is legal.

as to the OP I just adjusted them to what I was used to seeing when driving during the night. Not to low that I can't see all the road ahead, but not to high that it would blind the person in front.

technically they are still illegal.....

i am sick of being blinded by these poorly fitted/adjusted/supplied lights - some are a complete joke :jumpon:

i am sick of being blinded by these poorly fitted/adjusted/supplied lights - some are a complete joke :jumpon:

providing you don't go over 6000k its hardly illegal

and the people that are blinding you are the chavs that put xeons in non projector lights.

with a project light if you add xeons it will remain the same height as before as the path of light is directed through the same way as the bulb before.

providing you don't go over 6000k its hardly illegal

and the people that are blinding you are the chavs that put xeons in non projector lights.

with a project light if you add xeons it will remain the same height as before as the path of light is directed through the same way as the bulb before.

it isnt always "chavs".....:001_rolleyes:

as for the lights....theres the "e" mark construction and use and other eu rules and look at the vosa/government website over "aftermarket" light kits

you dont get pulled at an mot...but that doesnt mean they are legal as such - most of the "e" markings on the lights and reflectors
will outlaw anything other than standard

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

Last edited:

aftermarket china xenon kits making so much disturbing light when it rains and it is dark. Sometimes i feel i have to wear sunglasses or i will go blind for second,.
Projectors will help little, but auto aligment has to work or those are still crap.

So long as you have projector headlights fitted with the "fish eye" lens to focus the beam your ability to dazzle oncoming drivers is significantly reduced. It can still happen if you have 1 headlight pointing too high but thats easily addressed by parking behind a car on the road and adjusting your height.

Foxy is still right however as technically all HIDs are illegal in the UK. The only legal route is to have Xenons from the factory which will have auto-leveling and bumper washers to comply with UK law.

Well currently got the projectors fitted with hids. Used the screw on top on to what "I think is right" which personally may be pointing down too low but prefer that over dazzling people! But going pop it garage and get them aligned.
I know in the UK if not factory fitted there illegal, but these days almost everything is ending up flipping illegal unless fitted by manufacturers, I tend to like having a car and doing what I want to it as long as I'm making sure not compromising people's safety such as xenons pointing too high. I know alot of people are not as careful and unfortunately such laws are introduced to prevent such scenarios as the ever more common hid in reflectors :thumbdown:

must admit i am so tempted to do this myself but at the moment i need my money just to hopefully survive...

if circumstances change then it will be back on

if you adjust them to the upper limit dont forget you can lower them by the headlight height adjuster switch used for when you have for rear seat passengers!