Xenons automatically pointing at the floor.

tcw

Paid Member
So I picked up a Clio yesterday, all was good on route home until it got dark.

Everything was fine, however occasionally the lights would automatically adjust and start pointing directly at the floor, so visibility was poor.

Since then it's pretty much stayed like that, except for a brief period earlier where it was 'normal'.

I am aware of the rear sensor, and the arm is definitely attached. I haven't looked at the front sensor yet, but does anyone have any advice on how to proceed.

Cheers
Tobie.

What work was done to the car??? should be easily to trace from there, the sensor is on the front anti roll bar if its a 197 if you lowered it then you have messed with the settings. Are they factory fitted xenon's with headlight washers on the bumper. If they are then when you start the car the headlights the beam should rise showing that the auto adjuster motors are working. If the subframe has been off then the sensor might not be plugged in or the arm not connected. If the bumper has been off then they might not be plugged in correctly. I think the rear sensor is brake balance rather than ride height I could be wrong but that has only happened once before. (that's a joke but good luck)

I should mention - the car is lowered on H&R springs, and has been for quite some time (a good few years looking at the paperwork).

If you have a bit of time, there's a copy of the workshop manual on this site for the 197. You could have a look through that and see if you can find the location of any front sensors too?

If you have a bit of time, there's a copy of the workshop manual on this site for the 197. You could have a look through that and see if you can find the location of any front sensors too?
Hey - cheers for mentioning this. Everything appears connected, and the arms are all attached (front and back), it appears most of the troubleshooting requires a CLIP, so I may have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage :worried:

Some developments on this issue... yesterday I went to see someone with a CLiP to see if we could see anything, it appears CLiP could not talk to the lighting module - this points to a bad connection or faulty computer. I took the bumper off at lunch time today and honestly the plugs were in great condition, with no corrosion, however the clip on one of the plugs was missing - so I wonder if it caused an unreliable connection - I have cable tied the suspect plug to the module, and will see tonight if things improve. Failing that I will order another module from eBay for £27.99.