X85 Cup Racer VVT fault code

roblee8g

Paid Member
I had my first track day in the Cup racer that I recently imported from the UK. An intermittent error code appeared on the display "VVT def". Is there anyone on the forum with experience of the MM ECU used on the Clio III Cup racer (or has traced this error message to a hardware or electrical connection problem), who could offer some advice?
Many thanks,
Robert Lee
Adelaide, Australia

You would be better contacting the championship and see who supports the race or contact the seller or original team we used the MM ECU and DASH for Suzuki superbikes there can be so many different things like is it a race sealed engine or standard road engine but maybe cam and crank sensor or wiring to them. There is a bit of confusion with every one over which is which the crank sensor which is on the gearbox and the cam sensor is in the engine a guy here from the Netherlands had error codes from cam sensor and put it down to the pickup ring on the cam he moved the ring on the cam physically not what I would have done but there might have been after market cams fitted and the ignition map might not know about. The Clio cup championship in the UK is ending I think this year so expect looms, spares and cars etc for sale.

It's a sealed Renault Sport engine with unmodified Cup wiring loom. Really interested to hear from someone who is, or has, run the same car and has seen this error message before.

http://www.cliocup.cz/sites/default/files/data/user_manual.pdf

Page 29
Meaning: V.V.T. (Variable Valve Time) servo control fault
Thanks Martin, I'll try a couple of initial actions:
1. clean the contacts on both the solenoid valve & the camshaft position sensor.
2. remove the solenoid & check its operation when applying 12V.
If neither of those identify the problem, I'll determine how to check the camshaft position sensor.
If all else fails, buy some replacement parts.

I've searched a bit but didn't found anything Clio related. I've found some infos in a Toyota forum which say that the actuator (servo) can get stuck but then you'd presumably get a constant error message. If you can somehow access and activate the actuator you should get a quite rough idle. If that doesn't happens it's defect.
Some guys in there say it's rather unlikely that it's the camshafts or cams but it was mentioned as a possibility.

/edit: Robert, I've created a thread over at cliors-concept.com which is the main French forum for Clio RS and asked if somebody has encountered the error or has any ideas about what to check. I guess it's more likely to get an answer over there as they seem to have more race- and rallyecar drivers among their members. I'll report back if anything relevant comes back.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Marsch, post: 716579, member: 56653"]I've searched a bit but didn't found anything Clio related. I've found some infos in a Toyota forum which say that the actuator (servo) can get stuck but then you'd presumably get a constant error message.
I'm guessing that I only get the error message when the solenoid is in the "off" position (after changing gear). When it gets up on the cam, the message disappears. I've ordered new parts from RenaultSport so I have the hardware issues covered. Usually issues like this are encountered by more than 1 person, so feedback from another Cup racer owner would be the most valuable. I'm happy to do some trial & error myself, but the voice of experience is always welcomed.

The French say it's presumably the magnetic valve of the dephaser but it could also be the dephaser pulley or the sensor itself. They also suggest to check the wiring loom.

Robert, I've also asked in our forum and Louis (the 7:52 BTG guy) said it's a known issue with Cup cars. He suggests it's the dephaser or the plug-in connection.

He also said "dephaser pulley" doesn't makes any sense. I guess I made a mistake with translating it from French. It's not easy to find proper translations for technical terms like that.

Does the car feel flat at all when giving it some beans? Mine had a similar fault, albeit a road version Mk3 200. Turned out to be a faulty dephaser. I remember the Tech looking into it tried the solenoid by removing it and running a current through it. Helped him identify it was indeed the dephaser. Good luck anyway!

Does the car feel flat at all when giving it some beans? Mine had a similar fault, albeit a road version Mk3 200. Turned out to be a faulty dephaser. I remember the Tech looking into it tried the solenoid by removing it and running a current through it. Helped him identify it was indeed the dephaser. Good luck anyway!
It doesn't feel flat at all, but I've only driven the car twice, so there may be extra horses hidden away that I don't know about. I'll wait until the new parts arrive, and then try them out.

Replaced the VVT solenoid and the error code disappeared, but was replaced by an "Inlet p - def" code which relates to the MAP sensor. The sensor was a bit loose so I tied it down with a cable tie. I have Enis Galijasevic's machined holder coming so that would be a better fix. Should I take the sensor out, and check the O ring(s), or leave well enough alone?