Would you replace?

Matt197

South West Rep
My two front tyres still have 3.6mm - 4mm left but are the original tyres fitted from the factory that I swapped from the rear.

One has a very slight split on the rim protection part where a brick somehow hit that part of the tyre when I brushed passed it.

The tyres were manufactured in April 2007 so coming upto the "recommend" shelf life but I'm not sure if its worth replacing them.

My gut tells me to replace them but my head tells me otherwise, what would do?

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
No but that's me 2mm would have said yes but you still got life in them

if theres any sign of bulging on the side wall which would indicate carcas damage or or any threads are visible, then yes. A small cut into the thick rim protection band, probably not.

check the tread face for cracking.....if there is bin them!

is that side rim damage ok? dont look that good from the photo!

It also depends how you drive it, i'd not want the tyre to blow out at 70mph but i'd definatly not want it happening at 120/130mph :worried:

Hmm, there is no bulging or anything to suggest the tyre is defective.

Its been like this for over a year now, but I am having my wheels refurbished so was thinking it might be best to get them replaced.

I think I will replace them, don't like to gamble with tyres as there is no telling if its just cosmetic or if they will let go as I am cornering hard.

The way i look at it is, for the sake of £100 i would rather that than run the risk of having a blow out and stacking your beloved motor and forking out whatever bills might come of that. Plus the risk to yourself. STAYSAFE