Would you buy an RS and why

In all honesty - I will buy another mk3 eventually, maybe a meg 250 but no other renaults interest me. Yes it will be tracked but it'll be more of a fast-road set-up.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Trackdays aren't everyone's cup of tea, nor are they affordable to every owner of an RS. Also, for me who uses (and needs) my car as a daily, I can't risk something happening to my pride and joy when blasting around a track. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give it a go one day, but for me personally there'd be too much at stake to be able to fully enjoy it and appreciate it.

I bought my RS because it's nice to own a special car; something that's different to the majority of cars on the road. It's fun when I want it to be, and practical when I need it to be.

I see what you're getting at though Kev, however we all buy our cars for different reasons - some want to keep them as garage queens and barely turn a wheel during the year, others want to thrash them round their favourite circuits as often as they can. Different strokes for different folks :smile:

Good topic.

Trackdays aren't everyone's cup of tea, nor are they affordable to every owner of an RS. Also, for me who uses (and needs) my car as a daily, I can't risk something happening to my pride and joy when blasting around a track. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give it a go one day, but for me personally there'd be too much at stake to be able to fully enjoy it and appreciate it.

I bought my RS because it's nice to own a special car; something that's different to the majority of cars on the road. It's fun when I want it to be, and practical when I need it to be.

I see what you're getting at though Kev, however we all buy our cars for different reasons - some want to keep them as garage queens and barely turn a wheel during the year, others want to thrash them round their favourite circuits as often as they can. Different strokes for different folks :smile:

Good topic.
I need to drive it flat out and you can not do that on public rds Jimmy one of my cars was on track within 48h of getting it

Reactions: Jimmy
I almost gave into temptation before curborough to swap to a mk4 as mines mainly used as a daily, something abit more modern, comfy and slightly better for fuel efficiency and that would preferably stay off track. I fell back in love with the mk3 after curbs and planned to do some more track days as it’s so enjoyable to drive..

A lot of what @Jimmy has written is also relevant with myself hence not regurgitating a lot of it and having people’s other views etc

I almost gave into temptation before curborough to swap to a mk4 as mines mainly used as a daily, something abit more modern, comfy and slightly better for fuel efficiency and that would preferably stay off track. I fell back in love with the mk3 after curbs and planned to do some more track days as it’s so enjoyable to drive..

A lot of what @Jimmy has written is also relevant with myself hence not regurgitating a lot of it and having people’s other views etc
Mines my daily too

Good topic.

Totally agree with this, I know there’s only a few stickers but the r27 does feel a bit special :smile:

Saying that if it was new and on pcp with the view of changing/handing it back in 2 or 3 years I’d prob have numbers on the side of it and visiting every track in the country and let renault fix it if it blows up! Lol

It depends a bit. Normally I'd say no but I can understand if people don't want to take the risk to throw away their car especially if it's one of the editions or more rare cars. I'm not judging anybody on that.

Then there is another thing that comes into play. It's the direction Renault is taking with their newer RS models. They aren't really "tracktools from the factory" anymore if we're honest. I generally have no problem with them trying to approach a larger audience but it seems that they forget to adress their already existing customer base by going down the no Cup version, 4-door only, not even Brembos from factory, "Gucci bling" what ever road instead. Which really is a shame.
When I look at how many 200T's are driving around here (also thanks to a certain local dealer who throws or at least threw them out for 25% off) and the average buyer then...mmmh, let's say I wouldn't expect many of them to ever show up on a racing track but rather on a Burger King parking lot. At least over here it unfortunately seems to have developed into being the cheaper alternative to a Golf GTI and now mainly attracts the respective customer base and not only real enthusiasts anymore. I don't see this changing much with the new Megane RS or the 2019 Clio that's on the horizon and also think they have and will have their focus on the Alpine for a longer time.

Have to agree with Jimmy to a certain extent.

I owned my R27 for nearly 5 years and it didn’t see a track during my ownership. I then bought the Megane and knew I would do a few track days, purely because I couldn’t use anywhere near the cars potential on the road so it seemed a waste just dailying it with no track day fun. Now I’m back in a Clio and can’t wait for Spa later on this year. I think once you have been bitten by the Track Day “bug” it’s hard to get away from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw my hat into the ring....mine was cheap, I love thrashing the hell out of it and never really thought about going on track, was bricking it the morning of the Bedford TD and by 1pm I had a smile on my face that I couldn't wipe off until I'd got home.

I'm like a child waiting for Christmas with this Spa trip and not just the TD itself, but the group that are going will make it probably one of the best trips I've ever been on for sure. I'd never have thought within a year of owning my first RS I'd be off to Belgium driving round the same circuit as some absolute legendary people..wouldn't have it any other way.

I've caught the RS bug and whilst I may not keep my Clio forever, I will certainly be looking out for a 250/265 Meg or even possibly a Mk4 Clio over the next few years...

On the flip side, I still haven't got the balls to go round Combe!! Frightens me to death just thinking about it.

Have to agree with Jimmy to a certain extent.

I owned my R27 for nearly 5 years and it didn’t see a track during my ownership. I then bought the Megane and knew I would do a few track days, purely because I couldn’t use anywhere near the cars potential on the road so it seemed a waste just dailying it with no track day fun. Now I’m back in a Clio and can’t wait for Spa later on this year. I think once you have been bitten by the Track Day “bug” it’s hard to get away from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling April won't be my only trip to Spa....:grimacing:

I’ve loved hot hatches since my early teens and remember seeing the 5 GT Turbo and thinking to myself I will own one in the future. 8 years later I had it and it was more fun going round corners/sideways than it was in a straight line. This is where my appreciation for French cars began and every time I saw the top Renault Clio model, I wanted one.
I daydreamed about a blue Clio 16v that was £3,500 round the corner from my flat in 98/99, that bonnet vent just blew my mind.
In 2009 I was overtaken by a black 197 on the M20, it was a thing of beauty as the first thing I saw was the wheel arch vent. I couldn’t believe it was a Clio! 7 years later I finally had my 200 which I put so much money into but was too afraid to track it.
Not sure what happened when I bought the Trophy, it was a bit irresponsible not putting the money into property but I wanted to have something I could really be proud of and settle my paranoia of something going wrong. I’ve always wondered what I’d be like on track and it was an itch I had to scratch. Turns out I really enjoy it, thankfully, and Spa will be a great ‘jolly’ with the forum guys.
The Trophy is a tangible reminder that I’ve achieved something I didn’t think was possible from a personal/professional standpoint. I can’t help but admire the looks of it when it’s parked up, I love how it doesn’t give me any trouble. It handles fantastically, it’s fairly quick and it’s good to take on the track.
At the end of the day, it’s a road car from a manufacturer and it doesn’t have to go on track, it’s just a sport model developed by people who know what they’re talking about, to be driven by people who find their own passion within it.
I personally get more enjoyment from throwing it around than outright speed, and the fact I’m able to own something special that stands out from all the other bubble cars is what makes me come back to Renault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 2009 I was overtaken by a black 197 on the M20, it was a thing of beauty as the first thing I saw was the wheel arch vent. I couldn’t believe it was a Clio! 7 years later I finally had my 200 which I put so much money into but was too afraid to track it.

Exactly the same happened to me on an A Road! Was happily pottering around in my 1.2 Mk3 Clio, when a white 200 (numberplate ending in TOY, always saw it round town) came screaming past, and I just thought “yeah I know what car I want next!” It looked awesome, it’d just belittled my poor 1.2 version of itself, and the sound was epic! It was a no brainer for me.

Similar boat with being too afraid to track it, and I’d be in a similar boat to Benno, bricking it if I ever found myself in a paddock!

Does feel like it’ll live an unfulfilled if it never touches a race track, maybe one day I’ll grab the bull by the horns, and give her a hoon! We’ll see!

If I had the money to maintain it to 100%, I'd track mine twice a month! :smile:
That'd improve my driving so drastically that I'd probably end up racing in a year or two. Again, if I had the money!

I was never a Renault person. Never really liked any of them, would prefer Fords, VW's, Honda's any day. But reviews on 197 and 200 were so impressive and so much in line with what I look for in a car that I knew I had to own one and bought mine in August '17. After a couple of track days and a few enthusiastic drives in Wales, I now know I'll own at least two more 200's in my lifetime! I'd like to try a Fiesta ST for a bit but I know 100% that I'll always come back to a 200, at some point.

To me, the risk of crashing a car on track seems quite low as I don't push it to 100%. Even then, maintenance costs are significant so I can't track it as often as I'd like to.

Last edited: