Would I be better changing both shocks?

Buddyboy

Platinum Member
I've been advised to change my n/s shock because it's knocking would I be better changing both fronts as warranty will only do one . I did ask my mechanic but he said it would be ok to do one side only said you don't change both sides wheel bearings when one side goes. Has anyone on here only changed one side and been ok.

I would say both change both at the same time, they wont be matched in terms of damping after years of use the old one has had.

i was told to change both as the one that was still ok had been used for a few years of being squashed and extended etc and the new one would be stiffer so wouldnt be even. I was told better to swap for 2 new ones so both the same condition etc. not sure if it was just garage talk for more money but i suppose it makes sense.

my view is based on age/mileage to change both or not - if its high miles/old then yes but if lower miles and say a few yrs old then its NOT that important

changed plenty of dampers over the years and there isn't much difference between a new and an old one taken off just so a pair can be fitted

the ironic thing about this is that under warranty only one is changed but if it isn't and your paying then your advised to change both :coffee:

is it definately the shock absorber that is causing the knocking? The only reason I ask is I have a slight knock on the nsf that I can't diagnose and it's doing my head in!

I have the exact same problem ! Cannot find what is knocking and never heard a shock knocking before, only loosing its damping ability.

I have the exact same problem ! Cannot find what is knocking and never heard a shock knocking before, only loosing its damping ability.

the knock is usually from the internal damping valves that breaks