Worn tie rod?

Went to get the 197 tracked on friday at AMD Essex as it was feeling a bit wobbly over bumps and wandering a little.

AMD told me they couldn't do the tracking as the passenger side tie rod was knackered. But, I know with the perfo-hub that there is another drop link style connection between hub and subframe which is prone to failure. From what AMD said, they just wobbled the wheel back to front for the diagnosis, if this link is worn will it give the same symptoms?

the whole hub assembly moves as its called an anit-rotation link - they will have just rocked it from side to side to show up the steering arm play

Cheers Si, but if the anti-rotation link is knackered won't this also allow the wheel to wobble side to side?

Edit: Just looked at the diagram, I understand what you're saying now.

So the tie rod is the only part which could cause this rotation. Now just need to work out if it's worth getting both sides replaced even though just 1 side has gone

Last edited:
I read on here in other threads that these are a pain in the arse to change. However, jacked mine up earlier to check that there was actually play in this joint (there was) but couldn't see why it should be so difficult to change? There's one hex on the end of the track rod which I assume you loosen to remove the rod?

Not if it's the inner joint you dont.

You need to grab the outer casing of the ball joint where it connects to the rack. You'll get nowhere just turning the rod, the ball joint will just spin.

There is a special tool that fits over the whole rod and grabs it. Failing that some have managed to get some grips or stilsons on it.

car_photo_338011_25.jpg

The joint that's worn is circled in red. I was assuming that you turn the hex in the green circle to undo? Just that I read on here you need special tools due to poor access but the hex looked easy to access when I was looking earlier....

thats the track rod end (tre) very easy to change - just count the turns as you take it off and if its a genuine replacement item it should go back the same :wiz:

car_photo_338011_25.jpg

The joint that's worn is circled in red. I was assuming that you turn the hex in the green circle to undo? Just that I read on here you need special tools due to poor access but the hex looked easy to access when I was looking earlier....

Ahh right, your first post says tie rod, not tie rod end. 2 different things.

Yes, if its just the end then that's an easy job.

Pleased to hear it's as easy as it looks. I have changed one before on an old car but am sure I read some threads on here saying it was a pain in the arse! Will get one ordered or maybe do both sides if they're not too expensive

if the outer (tre) is worn you will also have some "lift" of the ball joint out of the cup in the tre and should be able to see/feel it

the inner track rod ball joint if "worn" usually just has a bit of play/movement in-out...

as for changing - if its only the outer then only change the outer...

I had to change both on my 197. It was the inner rack ends not the track rod ends worn on mine but as I was Changing the hard part I thought it best to dodge track rod ends at the same time

You need a special tool which grips the outer socket of the ball joint and then support the steering rack and loosen it. It's near impossible to get mole grips or stilsons on there so required the proper Renault tool

The part your on about changing is the easy one luckily!

Cheers Si. There was a tiny bit of in/out movement on the inner track rod which I'd assumed was fairly normal. Guess I need to get both bits changed then.

How hard is it to change the inner track rod? I read the workshop manual and it looks like you need a special tool which is ~£60 but if I have the tool is it fairly straight forwards?

EDIT: Cheers Ken, so with the tool it wasn't too bad to do the inner rods?

Ok so I have a price for the track rod ends and also a price for the track rod.

Track rod end: http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-3-Steering-Track-Rod-End.html
Track rod: http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-3-Steering-Track-Rod.html

From wiggling the wheels and rods on my car I'm pretty sure it's the ball joint on the track rod end that's worn. But, should I be replacing the track rod at the same time? Gather this is a more involved job.

Have you checked the part numbers? I'm not sure they are the correct parts to be honest as they are listed under MK3 clio, not the Clio 197 section.

The TRE looks wrong on the picture, but i'm not sure about the track rod itself.