wobble because damaged clock spring?

alpi42

Paid Member
Hey everyone,
I'm new into Renault cars and me and my cousin have a weird problem.
Ever since changing the steering wheel with an rewrapped one, the car feels off in corners and we have a slight wobble. Also it feels like the alignment might be off, but we're not sure about that part.

While changing the steering wheel, we accidentally dropped the airbag on the clock spring. So after everything was plugged in, the airbag light was on and we couldn't reset the error codes. It's probably because the drop broke something inside the clock spring.

Now to the real question:
Is it possible that we damaged the steering angle sensor as well or accidentally turned the clock spring? Would that cause the car to drive weird?

We don't even know if the steering angle sensor is located inside the clock spring, but it's the only clue we have. We also checked the front and rear axle, everything seems fine. Only the lower control arm on the left side has a slight play on its ball joint. But it's really minimal and we don't think that it would cause the car to drive that weird... (We will change the control arm anyway)
I changed tires but still wobbles.
Any other ideas?
I'd be very happy for any answers and suggestions :smile:

Additional infos: 2010 Clio Cup with H&R Monotube coilovers, 25mm spacers, pu engine mountsIMG_20201013_023627.jpg

It can be so many things you must have done other work on the car. The light could be that you turned the clock spring too much one way the car expects the wheels to turn at the same speed going straight but the car thinks the steering is turned but the wheels are turning at the same speed. Balance the wheels wobble will increase with speed, Check the lower hub ball joints can affect cornering
Ball joint link

Sometimes the little steel "Top Hat" can get lost changing the track rod ends
1602551691835.png
1602551721847.png
1602551869331.png

It can be so many things you must have done other work on the car. The light could be that you turned the clock spring too much one way the car expects the wheels to turn at the same speed going straight but the car thinks the steering is turned but the wheels are turning at the same speed. Balance the wheels wobble will increase with speed, Check the lower hub ball joints can affect cornering
Ball joint link

Sometimes the little steel "Top Hat" can get lost changing the track rod ends
View attachment 142300
View attachment 142301
View attachment 142302

I changed rims and wheels. checked everything for a play but the car still drives weird like it wants to oversteer and the hole suspension nervous to drive

Check the rims are properly seated the large centre hole of the wheel is correct and not sitting on an edge or chamfer also any wheel studs or spacers used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lower ball joint maybe ? mine had a bit of play and the car seemed to want to turn deeper in by itself, doubt a little spring would cause that it would have to super strong to have any impact on the steering feel, definitely would check the front suspension, balljoints, upper and lower as well as the track rod ends

Similar Thread Suggestions