Wiper randomly stops, mid wipe

Graham200

Paid Member
Having bought my RS 200 three weeks ago I was enjoying driving it until it rained and I realised I may have found the reason the previous owner wanted rid.

With the wiper on auto/intermittent, norm or fast speed it will suddenly stop, not parked but in various positions on the windscreen.

I have read all the posts regarding wipers and have done the following so far:

1. Cleaned out drains under scuttle (wasn't too murky but o/s drain was full of gunk)
2. Replaced wiper motor (new valeo)
3. Checked the protection and switching unit (UPC) to the right of the battery. Was clean and dry in there, all looked "ok"

Now I am considering whether it's a faulty UCH or wiper stalk but would prefer to find the fault rather than randomly replace parts.

Any advice on how to narrow down the faulty part would be appreciated. I want to enjoy driving without checking the weather forecast.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick, Locke.

When I swapped the wiper motor the linkage looked ok but I'll open it up again and check it moves freely.

The wipers aren't slow when working. They move across the screen fine. It's just that they randomly stop, not parked and no matter what I do with the stalk, they start working again on their own accord.

I'm used to problem solving car issues but this one is starting to p!$$ me off.

Will hopefully get a look at the linkage tonight and report back.

Cheers

Bought my car with some strange behaviour on the washers. Turned out to be a dodgy blade fuse under the steering wheel.

May be obvious but have you tried replacing the fuses under the steering wheel?

I checked the fuses and they seemed ok but I ordered a box of fuses last week. May just replace them all.

It's worth a shot at £3.

Thanks

Took the wiper linkage out tonight. Didn't seem to have much corrosion and wasn't too difficult to move but I took it out and got it on the bench (or in my case the kitchen worktop).

Followed the guide posted, took the circlip, washers and seal and managed to push the posts out easily enough. Gave them a clean, light sand with 1200 grit wet and dry. Greased them and reassembled.

Sadly it hasn't fixed the problem but should add a few years to the lifespan of the linkage.cb4c4327c84f7fde3e4fde57e2090b1e.jpg

To update on my progress, I fitted a new wiper stalk tonight. Had read it caused wiper problems and the trip computer buttons on mine were a bit iffy.

Took all of ten minutes to fit, two torque screws under the steering column and a couple of clips on the stalk to release.

Sadly, the wiper gremlin remains.

Still have the fuses to replace but then I'm at a loss.

Any other possible causes?

UCH?0714e4fc78bba222d8c3acaa7ed642b7.jpg5e3b03d24b779afa29cfa2f7d903f74c.jpg

Looks like it. I've emailed bba reman for a price to remanufacture mine. I think that's around £160 from what I've read in other posts.

Also considered the rain sensor could be faulty but I get the same problem with the wipers on full speed so think that rules the sensor out.

Appreciate the help from the forum. Once I get this fixed I'll be booking my first track day at knockhill

Reactions: Beany
Sounds very much like a UCH fault to me. The only other thing I would have suggested would have been the wiper motor but I see it has already been replaced.

I'm in Bearden mate. You heading up to knockhill in your clio as well, or stick to the bike for the track?

Sounds very much like a UCH fault to me. The only other thing I would have suggested would have been the wiper motor but I see it has already been replaced.
Got a price from bba reman yesterday so sending it tomorrow. They charge 35 to test the unit and that's all you pay it can't be fixed. If it can, then it's £135 plus vat. Could do without it but if it fixes the problem it's not the worst bill.

So, removed the UCH last night and it's a N85 unit. Part number 8200780033.

Contacted bba reman this morning and it's not one they can diagnose and fix.

I can buy a new unit online for £140, does anyone know anywhere in or close to Glasgow / central Scotland that could code the new UCH?

I'd rather avoid going to Renault if possible.b79e3be1568e50fdba29ad9e3d72dfb6.jpg

I’d be checking wiring back to the uch initially, a broken park wire that was making and breaking contact would cause your woes unplug both ends and load test with a h7 and power and earth not just a continuity test as one strand of cable will beep, but a load test with 4.5a will show up any weak links and a H7 is 55w so roughly 4.5a at 12.6v

I have yet to find a source for wiring diagrams (I could buy access to Peugeot/Citroen) wiring diagrams through there own parts website which is such an awesome idea... if you can understand psa group working diagrams in the first place

Thanks for the input. Will give that a go.

Oddly, when driving home on Thursday, the wipers wouldn't switch off.

I used the wash/wipe function and the wipers stayed on for ages, 5 mins or so.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Having a similar problem with my wipers after just a few weeks ownership but rather than just stopping they slow down loads first like theyre really struggling then eventually just stop. Still under warrenty from the the dealer I had it from so going to get in touch with them rather than mess with it myself. From the way mine slows down i think it might be the motor or something seized

Having a similar problem with my wipers after just a few weeks ownership but rather than just stopping they slow down loads first like theyre really struggling then eventually just stop. Still under warrenty from the the dealer I had it from so going to get in touch with them rather than mess with it myself. From the way mine slows down i think it might be the motor or something seized
Sounds like the linkage to me, common for them to seize, just needs taken apart and lubricated - or replace it.
I found a DIY guide on here somewhere, will post if I find it.

Had the car in at an Auto Electricians last week. Sadly they weren't able to find the fault. Didn't charge me, just asked that I let them now what the issue was when I find it.

Have now ordered a new UCH since BBA Reman don't service the model I have. It arrives Wednesday this week so hoping to finally fix the problem.

Had CanClip on whilst driving today and getting odd status for the ET018 'Windscreen Wiper Parked Position' - this was showing 'Present' instead of 'Missing' a lot of the time the wipers were on. Not sure what to take from this but either a wiring issue or the UCH/UPC signalling (Pin 17 on the Black P201 40-track connector).

Live data shown below:
PARKED PRESENT WHILST WIPING.png

Similar Thread Suggestions