Windscreen replacement?

Doogle

Winner - POTM March 2018
Hey all,

My windscreen is knackered, its very stone chipped and has wiper marks all over it from the previous owner using knackered wiper blades. It makes it difficult to see properly as the sun and headlights dazzle. I want to replace it but presumably it'll run into the hundreds of pounds if I do it off my back.

How likely are the insurance company to authorise doing it under their cover if its not cracked? I dont intend to damage it deliberately for the sake of replacing it under the insurance (fraudulent) but I also dont want to claim if they bounce it back after replacing and I have to foot the bill.

Anyone done this?

Doug

Well a stone can damage a windows at any time it does not take a lot to cause a window to need replacing hot water on a icy window trying to defrost it even trying to remove the rear view mirror the wrong direction can cause damage it would be unfortunate if it got changed then hit by a stone soon after. You have a dilemma not like or mate in Ireland trying to break a car window and knocking himself out.

Reactions: Doogle and Sean197
If your windscreen is causing you issues with visibility I don’t see it as a problem going through the insurance.
Enhancing some of the more obvious blemishes is up to you!

Reactions: Doogle
If your windscreen is causing you issues with visibility I don’t see it as a problem going through the insurance.
Enhancing some of the more obvious blemishes is up to you!

I was guessing a windscreen for a full fat with auto rain sensors, etc is more than the £80 excess, if they are putting their hand in their pocket Id expect them to be difficult but Ill give them a call and see! Saying that, if its for a safety reason...