200: Will Renault turn off airbag light???

So basically, if you have swapped seats over to recaros from standard or from recaros to standard and the air bag light is on will Renault turn off the light with their diagnostics or whatever under warranty if you say it has randomly come on??

i explained to my dealer that i changed from standard seats to recaros, they did that free 100 point safety check, and reconfigured the airbag system suit.

some one on here tried the same and got some bull**** story from the dealers that they couldnt do it due to safety reason. so i suppose it depaneds on the dealer.

Worth a shot I suppose, problem you might have is if they get it in and then kop what your trying to do they might throw you a "diagnostics" bill (expect £70+). Can't you find a local diagnostics centre to do this for less of a cost.

You might (and I stress MIGHT) find that if they catch you messing with the standard car, they could void all/parts of your warranty.

Thanks for these points guys, I may be half straight with them and mention the safety check and suggest they reconfigure the system under warranty.

I see what your saying Robo, if they catch on to me trying to pull the wool over their eyes to a certain extent they may charge me etc. Personally I don't think this will happen, I will speak to the technician when I get there and see what he/she is like and decide how to get on their good side.

Hopefully I'm favored in this situation and all goes well, as it should just be a simple job for Renaul

I paid the diagnostics fee, i wasnt saying they will do it for free. Lol. I wouldnt think any old clip/diagnostics machine would do it, just renault, as your reconfiguring the ecu not looking for/clearing faults. I wouldnt of thought it would effect warranty as long as the warranty claim wasnt to do with the seats, plus there renault factory seats.

I paid the diagnostics fee, i wasnt saying they will do it for free. Lol. I wouldnt think any old clip/diagnostics machine would do it, just renault, as your reconfiguring the ecu not looking for/clearing faults. I wouldnt of thought it would effect warranty as long as the warranty claim wasnt to do with the seats, plus there renault factory seats.

They're retro fitted by the customer though so to them they may as well be halfords Ripspeed beasts.

Hopefully they'll be all right with you though mate :smile:

When I swapped to Recaro's I rang a Renault dealer to see if they could switch the light off. I just used the story that it had 'come on' since someone got in the back of the car, and that I know there are connectors under the seat but I didn't want to mess. They explained to me that they would use the resistor fix, quoted me around £110, so i bought the resistors and fitted it myself. Not sure if it's the same when swapping the seats back to standard, but it may give you an idea of what the dealers charge (although I'm sure using a resistor isn't the usual way of fixing it!).

Reactions: sam frost

Ahh lol I may ring them before hand again and ask what fees I am going to be charged for this lol.

They're retro fitted by the customer though so to them they may as well be halfords Ripspeed beasts.

Hopefully they'll be all right with you though mate :smile:

Yer fingers crossed I will be able to get it sorted

When I swapped to Recaro's I rang a Renault dealer to see if they could switch the light off. I just used the story that it had 'come on' since someone got in the back of the car, and that I know there are connectors under the seat but I didn't want to mess. They explained to me that they would use the resistor fix, quoted me around £110, so i bought the resistors and fitted it myself. Not sure if it's the same when swapping the seats back to standard, but it may give you an idea of what the dealers charge (although I'm sure using a resistor isn't the usual way of fixing it!).

Interesting! If this is the case with me then I will be buying the resistors myself too, just I'm not sure if the standard seats need one as all the connections meet etc

I'll soon find out what they say on wednesday/thursday

Just thought of something, but you dont think your getting the airbag light due to being sold a duff pair of seats do you, maybe theres a fault with the airbag module which is why your getting the light as its actually working as intended.

Did you see the seats connected to the other car without an airbag light on?

The air bag light would be on due to the fact thats theres an airbag less on the recaro. The whole reason why i took mine to renault was because i wanted them checked that they was fully working.

The air bag light would be on due to the fact thats theres an airbag less on the recaro. The whole reason why i took mine to renault was because i wanted them checked that they was fully working.

But the recaros (if from a clio) should have this extra resistor in them to make up for the no anti sub air bag not being there.

No your missing the point, he removed his recaros and has now fit standard seats so hes done it in reverse. The fact he had Recaros originally means his car isnt programmed to look for the extra airbag which is why im so puzzled as to why he has the airbag light on his dash.

Edit: what 930Tech said :smile:

Last edited:
Theres no resistor in the plug, you can buy the resistors to do it that way but i rather paid renault to check the seats, reconfigure the ecu. Then i know the seats/car are 100% ok.

Yeh if hes changing from recaro to standard, there shouldnt be a light, but changing from standard to recaro could be just down to missing airbag. But the question he asked would renault be able to reconfigure the ecu, which they can unless like you say if its a fault.

Yeh if hes changing from recaro to standard, there shouldnt be a light, but changing from standard to recaro could be just down to missing airbag. But the question he asked would renault be able to reconfigure the ecu, which they can unless like you say if its a fault.

I'd say yes then but it will cost.

It could be if someone as recaros and changes them to standard. The ecu is monitoring the airbags etc and can know see a resistance from the extra airbag, which the system wont deploy due to if not configured to do so, so the sytem throughs up an airbag light?

Just thought of something, but you dont think your getting the airbag light due to being sold a duff pair of seats do you, maybe theres a fault with the airbag module which is why your getting the light as its actually working as intended.

Did you see the seats connected to the other car without an airbag light on?

Yer the seats were fine in the other car, good thinking though

@Ryan - Thats a good point, the extra airbag may be causing the problem as it may be telling the car it has another one when it doesn't want to see it.

I'm taking it in tomorrow morning so fingers crossed

Last edited:
Please keep us updated with what they find, im really puzzled by this whole issue.

I mean how can the extra airbag be telling the car anything when in theory the car doesnt have the loom to take its signals back to the ECU, Recaro fitted cars from factory have less wiring due to not having the extra airbag. Confusing!

UPDATE:

All sorted :thumbup:

Renault have done a safety check and turned the light off, everything is fine. Their report sheet seems to have pointed them to the seats and they have said everything is fine so re-configured the ecu.

Result!