Why you should service your brakes

Matt197

South West Rep
I have been changing my wheels over the past few days and decided to strip and clean all my brakes.

Drivers side on the front the pad was actually stuck to piston, even with the caliper removed it still had be levered away with allot of force.

The rears were is much worse condition than the fronts for some reason, and again the drivers side gave me problems. The pad had started to come away from the backing and had corroded in its housing making it imposable to remove it with out damaging it.

754de903.gif

6bf515b5.gif

cff2544a.gif

My car is 3 years and 7 months old and its the first time the rears have been striped, so keep in mind if you do yours the pads might not come out in one piece.

Got the fun of striping the other side again once my new pads arrive, oh joy! :nope:

Looks like something recovered from the titanic!

I assume the rears are worse due to the lack of regular use they recieve so it just builds up with dirt over time?

Only done 15,000

Have no idea why they are so bad, car was cleaned every other week at worse when I was using it.

Just one of them things, once new pads are in I will be stripping them much more often.

i have said (now for a long long time) you need to service the brakes yearly and do the rears as well :kiss:

My back pads were in just a a bad state, new ones on - done the fronts too, altho had to cut out the pins - which were a complete ball ache! and the front pads, well on the drivers side no movement in them due the amount of crap (Brake Dust) welded to the caliper, now nice and free. Just the Offside to do now lol

Last year when I did my rear pads I'm sure I gained like 2mpg from the fact they were no longer binding lol!

Gonna be doing them again once I get a chance, It'll be wheels off, brakes stripped and wheels cleaned, then she'll be ready for the summer time!:headphone:8)

i have said (now for a long long time) you need to service the brakes yearly and do the rears as well :kiss:

Yep, I did the fronts back in 2009 and 2010 on your advice. But never got around to doing the backs because the fronts were such a bugger to get out.

I think a strip down every 6 months is not a bad idea, once before winter and again after.

Just as well I don't need my car and its off the road anyway :tongue_smilie:

Gonna be doing them again once I get a chance, It'll be wheels off, brakes stripped and wheels cleaned, then she'll be ready for the summer time!:headphone:8)

did mine last week - either march/april time and rotate the wheels round as well :wiz:

I really should rotate mind to be honest, but the backs...erm.... a little square so I'll need to balance it too :swear: