Which is better?

1. For a car nutter like myself, to buy a top of the range and remap (standard 150bhp - remap to 170bhp) or do a complete engine swap with a sports model with standard 175bhp and then remap to 205bhp?

Whats my aim you ask? Not really speed, want my car to achieve 0-62 in 8 seconds and be able to do 45mpg and not brake the bank.

A new (second hand) car is around £3500 and engine swap route would cost £2000 for a donor car and £1000 in labor (I hope).

Opinions welcomed.

Sorry more info.
I wanted do do an engine swap with a megane 175 dci RS compared with second generation megane dci 150 bhp.

I think it all depends on how smoothly you want it to go, and will probably need backup funds if you have an estimate for labour.
Secondly, is 170bhp deemed acceptable in a sub 8 second 0-62, especially in a diesel?

I, personally would just buy a car and have it mapped than spend money on a project that will not potentially obey a 'finite' budget.

I think it all depends on how smoothly you want it to go, and will probably need backup funds if you have an estimate for labour.
Secondly, is 170bhp deemed acceptable in a sub 8 second 0-62, especially in a diesel?

I, personally would just buy a car and have it mapped than spend money on a project that will not potentially obey a 'finite' budget.
+1