Which coilovers?

I've been reading peoples opinions on coilovers ever since I got the 197 but am still none the wiser.

I have a full fat and find the ride good, only problem is the dive under braking. Also the car just sits too high.

I had adjustable dampers and springs on my previous car and on the softest setting the ride was harsh and bouncy. I hated it, don't want that again on the 197.

So, which coilovers retain the comfort when lowered 20-30mm without giving that bouncy, under damped ride?

I dont know about the 197 but I had coilovers on my 182 and they were like jelly on a plate, it was horrible.. total waste of money,they came off and the cup suspension back on.

I ended up with lowering springs which made the car look good and didnt compromise the handling too much, which was important to me doing track days.

Last edited:
ive got KWv1's on mine and i dont think its that bad...makes for a very smooth ride and body roll isnt too bad...obviously if your going over a very bumpy road then your feel every last bump but i expect that..you dont live that far from me so if you like il take you out in mine to get a feel for it and see what u think :smile:

V3's all the way.

Whats the advantage of these over cup chassis? Only asking as I have FK Silverline X on my other car and I love them to bits. Just with such harsh British roads I think they are screwball-scrambled.

on roads. . . . . . non. on tracks endless. twisty track you can adjust them softer for fast turn in but still keep the car stiff like its on rails. fast open track very hard for fast straights. as low as possible :smile:

they are worth there weight in gold mate.

on roads. . . . . . non. on tracks endless. twisty track you can adjust them softer for fast turn in but still keep the car stiff like its on rails. fast open track very hard for fast straights. as low as possible :smile:

they are worth there weight in gold mate.

Nice one, cheers for that. Hope that answer helps BenW too. Didn't want to appear like a thread thief.

ha ha. happens all the time. V1's are fine for road use but its nice to have that adjustment.

Woody, really NO advantage at all on the road over cup pack? I mean is this REALLY the case or does it infact still feel like a little race car? :smiley:

I have the cup pack on my R27 and i agree its good. But surely not on par with these v3s?

Cheers

i found even with cup pack it fealt a little bit wobbly.

V3's make it like a go cart honestly. its impossible to under/oversteer

I ended up with lowering springs which made the car look good and didnt compromise the handling too much, which was important to me doing track days.

I guess thats the other option, get some eibachs. Does anyone on here have just springs on standard FF shocks?

ive got KWv1's on mine and i dont think its that bad...makes for a very smooth ride and body roll isnt too bad...obviously if your going over a very bumpy road then your feel every last bump but i expect that..you dont live that far from me so if you like il take you out in mine to get a feel for it and see what u think :smile:

Cheers Russell, I'm actually in loughborough at the moment but if I'm still looking for coilovers when I'm back down Stansted way will definitely give you a shout.

V3's all the way.

How do they compare to standard FF, both handling wise and comfort wise? And is the ride at all bouncy now?

V'3 can make it smooth to drive like ure riding a bently or hard and bumpy like ure in a caterham thats the joy of the adjustments. i saw a 30mph increase through corners on snake pass, im not even joking lol i used to take corners at 50 up there when i had these fitted . . . . . . omg

well ive not changed them from 2 top 2 bottom since i last had the car. and honestly. . . . its not too good to be true its very true. hardly any body roll. corners amazingly.

just gota mind speed bumps cus i got it set so low . . . . . and thats not even the lowest either lol

with the AST topmounts . . . . . . . . when they turn up . . . . ill be able to set it up 100%

well how i saw it was i took it out at oulton in june and understeered hurrendously at druids. so went out and bought these lol

bedford december 3rd will be there next real test. . . . . if my car is back together in time

yeah but they are worth it. i dont know 1 person that had them that wished for better.

as mikeLYR27 he will tell you what i did.

:smile: