Where to mount a video camera?

I have recently purchased one of these;

http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

which is great, nifty little thing, but I can't work out where to mount it on the Clio. I had planned on mounting it under the front reg plate but there isn't sufficient depth, so if I wanted to do that then I would need to modify one of the front grilles. Suction mounts are a no-no on TD's, so I think my only real alternative is the headrest post.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, I got it in the US for US$245 delivered, it is a nice thing though I have had (am having) some issues with the Storyteller software.

Here is a dubious clip of me driving home last night;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQ8JVD0hkY

It is dull as you like, and don't judge the music, but the quality is good, especially at 1080p. This was the first time I had used it other than just waving it around the office, so it was just wedged between the headrest and seat.

It is certainly a cool thing, of course having bought it you then need to buy different mounts, different software, MicroSDHC cards, etc.

I got a £5 phone cradle off ebay for my samsung galaxy and it has a hole for the camera built in, i only realized the other day when a Scaglietti 612 was infront of me that this means i can film myself driving!

I reckon loads of phone cradles can be used like this, swivel ones are the best though as then you get a level with the road type effect, basically making the road speed by faster

Problem is that most Track Day Organisers won't allow suction mounts, and the way I drive on the road isn't really that exciting (especially as the camera has GPS so you can see exactly where and when I wasn't speeding).

Very nice piece of kit!!

When we went around the 'Ring I had a bar on the rear headrest with the video camera or dslr on it. Gave a really good view in the car and out.

Other options could be strapping it to the wing mirror perhaps, or the rear view mirror... :huh:

I did consider the rear view mirror. I am now thinking doing something with my spare clock surround. The mounts that came with this thing (side rail mounts) are pretty crap unfortunately so I think a converter to standard screw mount will be in order.

Tried some exterior filming just now, with it stuck to the window, I will need to work on the mic settings as the wind was loud.

I think if I have it too far back there will be too much car and not enough track, it is quite a wide angle lens.

There isn't any zoom, it just gets what you point it at really. Your vid is very good for 360p, though you can see the camera moving around a little compared to the seats, not sure how to get rid of that unfortunately and as you have Recaros there isn't much else you can do.

I have ordered a universal adaptor and a bracket to allow fitting to the head rest pole. When those come I will do some test runs and see if I am happy with it, if not the spare clock surround will be getting "modified".

Yeah it was the guy I was with's video camera, not bad at all TBH! I don't think you will be too bad with a headrest mount if you have the non-recaro setup, you shouldn't get much movement as it looks pretty light.

I know that you have only just got it but attached to the front bumper in some way would be good, either that or in the gap between bonnet and windscreen somehow...

The clamp I am getting could be used at the trailing edge of the bonnet. I did want to put it under the reg plate, but it just wouldn't be secure enough with the self-adhesive mount supplied. If suction mounts were allowed on TD's then I would get one of those, but they aren't.

Yeah I can understand your concern. I would have it zip-tied to the grill too just to be sure...