When to replace disks?

Sherlock101

Paid Member
Hi All, sorry for the noob question but how much wear can the disks have before being replaced?

My brakes are spongy and have no bite, didn't realise how bad they were until the other day when i went for a drive and scared myself as i didn't think i was gonna slow down enough for a corner! (I've been building up my speed slowly as inexperienced driver + new car + crap weather is not a good mix!)

I've been reading the forums a bit as i've also got a bit of pull to the left when braking so i was going to do a service on the pads and disks to check for stuck pistons or pads, but wondering if i should just go all out and get new pads and disks, and get the fluid replaced and braided lines in all at the same time?

oh, and happy new year!

first job - wheels off & strip them down - clean up & lube etc they really are bad if the pads have siezed in the calipers & dont forget the rears as they get caked up in road salt/grip...

look at the edges of the discs for a wear "lip" - look on a disc data site for new disc width as i cannot remember the new width measure the discs - if theres 2-3mm wear they usually class them as worn iirc - i usually make a visiual assessment with regaurds to condition & wear rather than basic numbers - if they are in good condition even if worn you can get good life out of them

Reactions: Chris