When to change discs?

My 200 passed it's first MOT at the weekend - car has done 24K miles. The mechanic who did the MOT commented that the front discs and pads will need changing in about 1000 miles. I can understand the pads, but the discs look fine to me (no ridge on the outside edge, and plenty thick enough). Is it best to change discs when pads are changed? If not, how can you tell when the discs need changing?

Related to all this, I have been looking at options if everything does need changing. I think I will go for Ferodo DS2500 pads (I had them on my S2000 and really liked them), and I think I would like to go for Brembo HC grooved discs. Where's the best place to get these from, and if I change the fronts do I need to change the backs to the same type of disc and pad?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Nope you can mix and match different discs and pads on the front and rear but it is advisable to change both sides at the same time obviously.

Some people here run Grooved/Drilled/Big Brake setups with standard Brembo discs and pads on the rear. I'm not sure of the split but the front does the main braking so upgrading the rears isn't essential but if it puts your mind at rest then go for it.

I run Tarox F2000 312mm discs on the front currently with standard pagid pads and Brembo discs on the rear that will soon be changed.

And new pads all round but haven't decided yet what.

the discs will have a minimum thickness which is usually about 2-3mm wear...having said that it also depends on the actual wear on the face of the disc as well - if they are scored or wavy then they should be replaced along with new pads but if in fair even wear can just fits pads...

I changed my dics and pads at 24K with the service.

Discs were pretty good to look at, but I'd warped them. I'd just change them both at the same time. Rather than ruin new pads bedding into worn discs.

Thanks all. I am going to change the front pads to Ferodo DS2500's and leave the discs and rear pads alone (unless the front discs need changing on the day). Fred at BTM will be doing it - he advised that the majority of the braking is done at the front, and the rear discs/pads will typically last up to 50K miles.

If your going for more expensive pads like that on the front, I'd change the discs for just peace of mind, rather than having to change the discs at a latter date and then those pads will be worn to the old disc

No point changing the discs unless they need it. I'd just get the pads done and see what BTM say about the discs. If they do need changing then just get them done a bit later, no harm bedding the pads into old discs and then changing discs a few weeks late.

That's the plan. If BTM don't have any discs in stock, they can get them delivered within an hour so if the discs need changing they will be done on the day.

No point changing the discs unless they need it. I'd just get the pads done and see what BTM say about the discs. If they do need changing then just get them done a bit later, no harm bedding the pads into old discs and then changing discs a few weeks late.