Wheel spacers thoughts

Spacers are a no no for me. Why undo all the good work done by Renault enginners eliminating bump steer with their swivel hub by increasing the scrub angle all for what supposedly looks better.

Reactions: M154MATT
and torque steer.
That’s a big side effect that I noticed with spacers on less than ideal roads (which is ironic as it has no torque to begin with but let’s ignore that!). Also felt like the turning circle was wider too.

I have had my car aligned by one of the top alignment shops in The Netherlands. The man (50 years of racing experience) recommended me to get rid of the spacers, get some fresh tires (Michelin Sport 4) up front an make an appointment. He checked the suspension, the steering rack and looked at the data from the Hunter equipment and told me spot on how the car behaved. I said that was true (the car was nervous on non-flat roads and would dive into the uneven section). He asked me how the car should handle and I said "car needs to float over uneven roads and have selfcentering steer". He changed the fornt alignment, he never looks at factory settings which in his view are "crapp". The rear setup was good from factory, did not need ajustment and time-consuming (=costly) to do. I test drove the car and it did as he promised. I did sacrifice some sensitivity in the steering rack though. But a good trade-off and lightyears better than how I bought the car.

I usually drive these kind of roads, quiet and luckely no coppers.

Attachments

• Clio Alignment.jpg
    Clio Alignment.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 17
Spacers are a no no for me. Why undo all the good work done by Renault enginners eliminating bump steer with their swivel hub by increasing the scrub angle all for what supposedly looks better.

In fairness. Standard 197 wheel et is 68. The Renault sport R3 uses et 41. That's the equivalent of running 27mm spacers.

Reactions: deekay16v

Similar Thread Suggestions