Wheel arch liners out

ashtons99

Gold Member
I whipped off the wheels today to give them a good clean and polish and get the calipers back to the nice glossy red. This evolved into cleaning the arch liners then removing the liners completely and wiping them down with tardis, washing then back to black them. I also cleaned and gave the inner arches a spray over with WD, back together now, nicely minted

Not bad at all really, the liners work effectively in the main but taking them out allows you to get the area just behind the edge of the liner where the muck gathers

Just a couple of pics of the condition behind the liners. They obviously work effectively in containing most of the road muck. The worst bit in the fronts was in the top of the suspension turrets. In the rear arches it gathers behind the liner in the bottom of the bumper. The sills seem to just catch fine sand type stuff which I got out with the Hoover nozzle.

The liners aren't too bad to remove. The back ones have threaded plastic fasteners and 3 torx screws. It's then a case of pushing the liner upwards to gain enough play to ease the liner out of the rear end of the sill

The front ones are in 2 parts. The front half comes out first. It is held in with 2 torx screws which screw upwards into the bumper and another which screws in where the bumper-wing bolt is. There are then 3 large headed push in fasteners. Don't try any pry them out with a tool, just get your hand behind the liner and use that to force them out and watch where they go when they pop out!
The rear half of the liner is held in by 1 torx screw and 4 of the aforementioned fasteners, same applies with removal.

They seemed easier to refit than remove.

It will also be worthwhile to remove and grease the M6 bolts which clamp the wing and bumper together as they are a 8astard to get out if they rust. I replaced mine with stainless socket heads to make removal for bulb changes easier

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390937271.247815.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390937271.247815.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 68
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390937296.712215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390937296.712215.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 61

Similar Thread Suggestions