What do i need to put my private reg back onto a car?

As the title says really..

I have a plate on hold for a year but want to put it on a car, what documents are needed? I'v had a look around the DVLA page but get confused by all the numbers they fire at you basically!

Cheers

You should have a retention certificate for your plate. I'm pretty sure it tells you on there to be honest. Fill it out and send a cheque with the transfer fee and your log book. I really can't remember if there's another form to print though. Like I said though, it tells you all about it on the back of the retention certificate. Make sure you copy everything. Remember that you send it to your local office and NOT DVLA Swansea. They then send you a new tax disc and a certificate which will enable you to get a plate made up. You'll receive your new log book a couple of weeks afterwards. Remember to let your insurance company know.

Should just fill retention form in, which usually says FEE PAID on it, and an expiry date. They will send ya a new tax disc etc and post ya old one back.

Local office deals with it so either post or can do it over counter. Its quite fast service really

Thanks for the advice guys, had a look and a phone call later and one document you have to have they haven't sent me after a month of my plate being on hold. Damn DVLA.

If the number is on a retention certificate the transfere fee to put it onto the next vehicle is allready paid for.

If the certificate is not in your name it will cost you £25 to change the nominee to yourself then it can be transfered to your car (providing the plate will not make the car look newer).

The easiest way to change it over is to visit your local DVLA centre, this can be done there and if you had the plates ready made up you could walk out of there, inform your insurance of the change and fit the new plates and drive off.

But they allow you 14 days to do the change once all the paperwork is completed.

If you have to fill out a form and send it all off, you'll need your V5 (log book), MOT certificate and the details from your tax disc, send this off (with any fees if nominee change) and you'll get back (eventually) the V5 with new number on it, a new MOT certificate with the new number on it and a tax disc to cover what your current tax disc covers and an envolope to send back your original tax disc.

HTH.

Thanks Tech! I was able to get it done last night (well my mother was able to do it for me). I now understand the concept of taking plates off and back on again. Thanks for making it clear for me though!