Weird Left Turning

suj

Paid Member
I have a weird one on my car, if I turn right (so say I put an input of 20degs) it drives as it did previously, but if I do the same left, it feels like it is over-assisting / like it's turning way more!

The faster you are driving the worse it is, like it throws you left! It was scary the first time it happened, there are a few country lanes near me that lead to places I need to go and I genuinely thought the back end was going to kick out as it did it so violently!

I went to get geo checked and it's all perfect (nothing has changed since the last time I got it checked 6months ago), so now I am thinking it's either rack or EPAS column, but i've not seen it on here (I did do a search too and I couldn't find anything) so open to suggestions.

No error codes flagging up, so don't want to start just buying things and spending shitloads for no reason.

Have you checked tyres? My old albi did that when I'd had new tyres fitted, adjusted the pressures and all was good. Other than that I can't see how it wouldn't be to do with alignment? I'm not sure a PAS fault would only show up in one direction?

Reactions: suj
Tyres are all good, pressures all good too.

As it's an EPAS system, I'm thinking it's got a fault of current in 1 direction? Like I said I've checked the "obvious" things, it's so weird!

That's mightly strange, there is a steering angle sensor but I don't know if it's got anything to do with EPAS, It triggers the corner lights if you have them... Can't you just drive right everywhere? :sweatsmile:

p.s. See attached from Dialogys, hope it helps :thumb:

Attachments

• MR394X8536B000.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Broken spring or lower ball joints (they feel when you turn in that you turned in a bit more) you could have a faulty electric power steering motor a sticking brake caliper can have an affect as well.

The steering angle and speed affects the traction control and the amount of steering assistance given but your steering cant just go out what work has been done i.e.. rack, track rod ends etc.

The steering angle and speed affects the traction control and the amount of steering assistance given but your steering cant just go out what work has been done i.e.. rack, track rod ends etc.

That's the thing, nothing has been changed recently lol, why I'm so confused, springs are not broken, brakes are fine, so could be lower ball joints (I have a pair of hubs I got off @PITA that are very low miles, so will swap them over), so why I'm pointing at the steering rack or associated bits (track rod ends and inners were done about a year ago with genuine parts).

Thanks, yeah I got these spare hubs as I wanted to swap over new balljoints etc, but i'll wack them on and rebuild my currently fitted ones (as a test as they were perfect for PITA as he did same as me for his track car).

I have something similar with mine, how did you get on in the end? I have noticed an 8 deg correction coming in after I re-learn the angle sensor, The car drives straight but the steering is slightly down to the left!