200: Warranty....and modifications

Hi!

Quick question for you lot, I have 8 months of warranty left on my 200. I have recently ordered a KTR 200 catback exhaust system which should be here this week some time I hope.

If I put this on the car and later down the line have issues with the car, is my warranty totally void just because I put a catback on? For example if my engine gave up would Renault tell me to do one just because of an exhaust or how does this work?

Thanks

probably yes if they found out or it was told to them

in the small print any modification from a makers standard can void the warranty simple as that and in some ways you can see why :tongueout:anic:

Depends on the dealer, they have to present some sort of case that the modification in someway contributed to that component failing, like I you have changed the number plate lights for led ones and your engine throws a con rod that was obviously not because of the modification

probably yes if they found out or it was told to them

in the small print any modification from a makers standard can void the warranty simple as that and in some ways you can see why :tongueout:anic:

Probably? Sound advice.

The small print on the Renault warranty pack is a pretty easy read, have a look you will be surprised.

As already said by Luke the fault needs to be related to the modification I.e the cv boots have perished as a result of the car being lowered.

I guess the best way to look at it is to think what damage might this modification cause? Exhaust? Flat spots? Melt the diffuser if incorrectly fitted?

The fact that you can track the car and it won't void warranty is a big hint that you will be fine.

This is my fear....ive got a year left, but i also have an issue with the steering feeling heavier than i ever remember...but i also have a set of kw coilovers im itching to fit!

A lot of people will tell you "if the car is going to break due to a modification, you'll be paying for the repair no matter what, be it now whilst under warrenty or when its out of warrenty"

A word of warning, all manufacturers have media depts who are constantly trawling forums so dont post anything up specifically which could come back to you in event of a claim.

A word of warning, all manufacturers have media depts who are constantly trawling forums so dont post anything up specifically which could come back to you in event of a claim.

Tin foil hat on standby!

I had coilovers on my 200 and it was in for warranty work several times.

Judging by the fact the dealers couldn't even order the correct spoiler or diagnose such basic issues with my car I doubt they'd be able to tell an aftermarket exhaust from a standard.

Ok, thanks for the input, so would the general consensus be that if for example I fit a catback exhaust and before my warranty ends my gearbox gives up they would sort it out as a catback system would have no relevance to a failed gearbox? Fingers crossed I have no issues ever anyway, just curious about this.

I reckon they could be arsey and say more power has put more strain on the gearbox

Even though its 1-2hp

Any excuse

I had the gearbox replaced when our 200 had the Akrapovic exhaust and coilovers fitted. No questions asked tbh.

All depends on your dealers i think.

Mine are usless and will wiggle out of everything. I asked if coilovers would effect a claim and they said yes.

Tbh i dont see the problem. Part fails, they replace, claim off warranty company. The only way the warranty company knows is if they tell them. If they dont tell them they'll pay out. Its down to the jobsworth at the stealers. They dont lose out.

As mentioned, I would guess it would depend on the dealer.

If the terms and conditions of the warranty specifically state that any modification invalidates it then they could refuse.

Most would likely be fine but its a risk to take if it could invalidate the warranty.

All depends on your dealers i think.

Mine are usless and will wiggle out of everything. I asked if coilovers would effect a claim and they said yes.

Tbh i dont see the problem. Part fails, they replace, claim off warranty company. The only way the warranty company knows is if they tell them. If they dont tell them they'll pay out. Its down to the jobsworth at the stealers. They dont lose out.

but it is part of their job....technically its false accounting/dishonest claiming warranty for an item that shouldnt be....we used to be audited by the makers as we were a "third-party" as such - as long as they take an approach that says the modified part did not influence the failure of the component thats fine!

i can remember a guy on the ruk forum who used a different engine oil in his car and the engine con-rod went! at first they tried the non-genuine/approved oil used to get out of paying - to cut a long story short in the end they fitted a new engine as oil cannot really make a con-rod fail...common sence prevailed i think :poke: