Warning - Clio alloys ...

EBay will let you send them back if they are in a unroadworthy/ state just take some pics and raise an issue. I got done by a guy outside Southampton with a std 197 silver wheel it took him 2 months to post the wheel but when paying I put a message that if the wheel had any flat spots, cracks etc. he was to let me know before shipping and we could sort it out. The wheel arrived it had a flat spot with yellow marking highlighting it and obviously they had claimed pot hole damage for a new wheel and sold the damaged one to me, anyway I got a full refund ( I wanted a part refund to have the wheel straightened) and got to keep the wheel as no one wanted it back and I was not going to pay the postage. "Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or shop return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections". Always send a message even with the payment as far as wheels are concerned that they have no buckles, cracks, or flat spots on them and you are covered. But you bought 4 high priced wheels for £200 and the car has rally event stickers on it you must have had some idea they were going to have a non perfect finish.

I paid paid through PayPal and not eBay.

they weren't that price. He had 8 in total. I had 4 for 300 quid! Now I've appealed through PayPal and got into him
he's dropped
price of them!

Ebay is always in favour of the buyers so no doubt you'll get your money back asap

It does look like it'd be easy to get mislead - 100% feedback and he makes no suggestion to the condition not being roadworthy.

Sure, they're from a rally car, but if you're selling wheels you would expect them to be in good condition, especially with no mention that they'll need refurbing!

Don't think I'd buy anything from a seller called hotgirl!! Haha.

sorry to hear about the scam though Chris!

Latest from Chris is that Paypal have chucked out his claim and backed the seller !!!

So it's obviously ok to sell wheels that are not described fully in the advert, photo them from the front only not disclosing damage to the rim edges and spoke rears, describe them as used knowing full well that they have 'extreme' cosmetic damage and at least one can't be used due to it being buckled.

This guy has well and truly stitched Chris up and Paypal say it's ok as the wheels were advertised as used.

The ebay advert stated that the buyer would accept returns within 14 days but the buyer has to cover carriage costs - even this option isn't open to Chris as the buyer steered him away from an ebay purchase to a direct purchase using Paypal.

Anyone out there able to advise?

Last edited:
That car in the picture isn't even his car I've found out today!

End day, they were used alloys with cosmetic damage yes! but what's turned up ain't comestic Damaged wheels! They need repairing. They Been on tyre machine and one is ****ed and another 2 ain't great. It's buckled
or bent so either needs binning or got pay for it
too be repaired ! Out 4 one good alloy!!

I would be careful of using the word scam the seller tried asking too much for the items based on the condition and the buyer did not ask the right questions before buying but as long as it is sorted then everyone should learn from it. Be very careful of painting someone as a scammer you could wind up getting sued and since there is no refund yet everyone should keep things cool and don't upset the process. Letting every one know to be aware was a good forum thing to do and hotgirl seems to sell a lot of motorsport items because no one has that many wheels about them although I have 6 light silver 197 alloys in the garage and 4 on the car but one has a flat spot so say 5 extra wheels.

while I was typing the other two posts showed up, if the guy has done a number on you why did you not buy through eBay did the guy ask you just to pay him direct through PayPal ( alarm bells) we need the full story from the buyer not his mate as things tend to distort and exaggerate if they are not fixable then its cheaper to send back and learn from it I understand your anger we all do.

I would be careful of using the word scam the seller tried asking too much for the items based on the condition and the buyer did not ask the right questions before buying but as long as it is sorted then everyone should learn from it. Be very careful of painting someone as a scammer you could wind up getting sued and since there is no refund yet everyone should keep things cool and don't upset the process. Letting every one know to be aware was a good forum thing to do and hotgirl seems to sell a lot of motorsport items because no one has that many wheels about them although I have 6 light silver 197 alloys in the garage and 4 on the car but one has a flat spot so say 5 extra wheels.

So you think the onus is on the buyer to find out about an item - rather than the seller be honest and disclose the full and true facts ? Its aswell every shop on the highstreet, internet based outlet and market seller in the Country doesn't work under these terms isn't it.

In this case the fact is (That unless your a rally driver ?) - these wheels as a set are unfit for purpose. Its that simple.

And if he has been selling whilst keeping those facts to himself; he is indeed a scammer.

I don't think the seller has been completely open about the condition of what he is peddling.

I agree that in certain circumstances a buyer has to ask specific questions, however as I said on my previous post, I think it's reasonable to assume that a car part being sold is fit for purpose. If a wheel is advertised as being used, you would be in your rights to assume - at the very least - that it is usable and roadworthy. If it's buckled and has significant damage, then that should be stated, and priced to reflect so. Then the buyer knows what he's getting into.

I am really surprised that the seller has been sided with.

Alarm bells didn't ring as when spoke to him he seemed genuine and also he had good eBay feed back.

End day this chap knew Excaly what he alloys where like and sold them as 2nd hand useable alloys which they are not as not fit for purpose!

If if he had of took pictures of the alloys from the rear or inside then they would not of been purchased by me nor would anyone else buy them for that matter . He knows that and that's why he only took pictures
of fronts.

when I sell everything im honest as I don't want any come backs or issues.

If you see something on eBay assume nothing ask the stupid questions through eBay and buy through eBay. I bought a pair of recaros a month or so back on eBay he accepted £700 collection only but for £50 he would bring them to me at Snetterton now the seats had been sold the week before but where relisted with bad feedback that the guy was a crook he explained the buyer was from Australia and they were collection only and got the bad feedback removed. Now the guy tried and tried to get me to phone him instead of mail through eBay but I did phone him he moaned that PayPal were going to take £25 in fees but he had sold 147 items and I told him he should know that by now but I paid everything through ebay and £15 extra towards the fee. He then cried if I collected the seats in person PayPal would not cover him that I could turn around and say I never got them and claim the money back as he had no proof of delivery and refused to give the address to collect them from but for the £50 would still deliver them and I could pay him cash and he would refund the money to which I said no F***ing way am I meeting a stranger with cash and if he wanted cash he should use gumtree. Anyway EBay must have been watching the mails back and forward and every time he rang me or wanted me to ring him I sent a mail saying I wanted all comms through the eBay system. Well long story short eBay were watching and permanently removed his account as he was using eBay to advertise his stuff but was cutting PayPal and eBay out on payment. If the guy will refund send the wheels back, buying the 4 on ebay they are £100 cheaper and you can ask the questions you need to ask at the end you will have 4 wheels and they will have cost less than £300 as its not going to cost £100 to send them back. And if he tries something then ebay will deal with it and you could end up with a refund and the wheels if he does not want to get them back.

I messaged him on ebay and he replied -
"Hi there they seemed ok when I last ran them but I haven't spun them up

Good luck"

So even if you had asked questions, you would have been none the wiser.

End day, they were used alloys with cosmetic damage yes! but what's turned up ain't comestic Damaged wheels! They need repairing. They Been on tyre machine and one is ****ed and another 2 ain't great. It's buckled
or bent so either needs binning or got pay for it
too be repaired ! Out 4 one good alloy!!

Who said they were used alloys with cosmetic damage?

The advert says "condition as per pictures, sold as seen, come and see them"

Sold as seen is the major point - no come back.

The guy says to come and see them. No way would I be just getting these just delivered.

Im afraid this is just going to have to go down as a life experience.

He has altered the ad! It didn't say anything like that when I bought them!! Since there's been a PayPal claim he's worded it very differently!!!