VVT seal leak?

I asked a mechanic friend recently what this pool of oil was on the top of my engine block.
They suggested it could be something to do with a faulty o ring on the vvt solenoid or similar.

The oil appears only in very small amounts over a fair period of time.
He also suggested that it would be leaking more as fumes and then back to liquid when there was enough of it.

bb1fe443.jpg

whats your thoughts? has anyone else encountered this problem?>
Thanks
Ryan

I never had a problem with mine but when it was serviced at BTM last
Month, Fred mentioned that he's seen a few clio's which leak from a bolt on top of the block which looking at your pick matches the one he pointed out... Could be another common Renault trait??

I had this problem. I took it to Renault for them to check it out. Firstly they told me there was no leak, and there was just some oil on top of the engine(?!?!?!?!?!). I know for a fact there was a leak because I've dried it up a few times and it keeps coming back. I haven't needed to top the oil up since I've had it either. I told them to take it for a drive and check again and they still said there was no leak. After I picked it up, I drove 150 miles, but when I checked again the leak hadn't returned. I can see that some bolts have been changed or at least unscrewed because they have spanner marks on them.

Quite why they couldn't just tell me what they'd done instead of just denying there was a leak I don't know.

its oil weaping from under the small 10mm cam carrier bolts......a common fr4 problem and reported many times on here!

yeh as stated above the leak has been cleaned up before and then returns - slowly but it does return!

and how am i fixing this problem? easy enough?

yeh as stated above the leak has been cleaned up before and then returns - slowly but it does return!

and how am i fixing this problem? easy enough?

remove bolt - clean oil - small amount of sealer - refit bolt

oh just that bolt on top?
not no internals?

its the small in-the-middle-of-your-picture 10mm bolt the weeps oil in to the castings of the head

you remove the bolt - clean it and use a small amount of sealer on it then refit it

if it was the vvt seal it would spray oil out as it uses oil pressure to advance/retard the timing

done 4-5 of these leaks now on various fr4 engines

under noraml circumstances the bolt seals due to the softer aluminum top cover and the hardend steel cam cover bolt when tightend up....but they dont always seal very good and tend to leak when hot

yep also had this issue when i was buying mine,foxspeed describes the solution well,never had any trouble since,explained the common fault to the bloke that fitted my cams as well so he sealed the bolt heads good and proper and no probs since

I had this prob on more than 1 bolt. Used fox's "fix" with engine sealent. No more oil leak!

Last edited:
Hi, I have this on my engine. When the bolt has been removed and cleaned, what's the best sealant to use on it before installing it back on the engine.
Thanks.

Hi, I have this on my engine. When the bolt has been removed and cleaned, what's the best sealant to use on it before installing it back on the engine.
Thanks.

i use an automotive type sealant usually silicone based - either clear or black - only use a small amount on the under side of the bolt head

holts or locktite rtv type sealer

hi everyone i think my car has been doing this very recently. im no mechanic and its my daily car. what will happen if i undo this bolt to try and seal it to stop it leaking?
will it affect anything if i remove this bolt to clean up and seal it please?
ive got a slight misfire on ny car at the moment could it be related to this ??
any help greatly apppreciated, thank you