Urgent!

Currently swapping my shocks for 200 cup ones and I've removed the bolt from the back of the hub/bottom of the strut but had to really smash it to get it to come out and now the ends bent over and I can't get the nut on. Tried to hack saw a mm or so off it but it's been a real pain and I don't have a grinder. I have another bolt but it's slightly thinner, will it matter at all? It should pull the hub together just fine...

Here's a pic

IMG_3777.JPG

So I managed to get an Almost identical bolt from Halfords! Thanks for everyone's input!

I now have another dilemma. Long story short I couldn't for the life of me get the nut holding the top mount to the strut out... started trying to drill it, destroyed 4/5 drill bits in the process and I am not much closer. Must be some really tough metal is all I can say! I only need the spring off and the top mount, the shock is going in the bin and I have a spare nut to use when refitting... any tips on how to get the top mount off? Please bare in mind screwing it off is no longer viable, I've gone to far with the drilling! Suppose I'll just have to get some more bits tomorrow and keep at it!

Heat and an airline with an impact gun when it's seized, but I'm assuming you don't have access to those?

Failing that I'd Dremel it and cut the nut through.

I tried it with my 18v makita impact driver (normally used for driving screws into wood) but it just rattled it and didn't even turn. Like I said, gone too far with the drilling now to even consider trying to undo it. I'm going to get some decent metal drill bits tomorrow and and hope that I can get it off! Don't have a Dremel unfortunately, could try a Multitool with a metal cutting blade in I suppose.

It's all a learning curve I suppose, wouldn't be able to do it without your help and the "How To" section so thanks to everyone

Also that strut bolt you replaced, pretty sure oem is an 8.8 HT fine thread, so pretty strong and torque is 105Nm on that one. It'll say on the head the grade and if it is don't replace with less than that.

Also that strut bolt you replaced, pretty sure oem is an 8.8 HT fine thread, so pretty strong and torque is 105Nm on that one. It'll say on the head the grade and if it is don't replace with less than that.

Ok thanks for that... it's the same
Thickness (M12), 5mm shorter and definitely has less threads. I'll see if I can get a genuine renault one to replace. Do you think it will be ok for a few days?

Put some penetrating all on it next time and put some penetrating oil on it next time and leave the nut on the end before you likely tap it through. Dot take this the wrong way but cowboys springs to mind!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put some penetrating all on it next time and put some penetrating oil on it next time and leave the nut on the end before you likely tap it through. Dot take this the wrong way but cowboys springs to mind!!!

Yes in hindsight I should have left the nut on. I put loads of penetrating oil on the night before and just before/during removal. I'm fairly new to working with cars, done bits on my old saxo vts years back, but to be honest, that was much easier to work on. If this makes me a cowboy, so be it. An electrician by trade, not a mechanic!

Yes in hindsight I should have left the nut on. I put loads of penetrating oil on the night before and just before/during removal. I'm fairly new to working with cars, done bits on my old saxo vts years back, but to be honest, that was much easier to work on. If this makes me a cowboy, so be it. An electrician by trade, not a mechanic!
If you don't need the strut you can put a large pair of mole grips between the spring and onto the strut to lock it in place. Sometimes works.

Fair enough I take that back I wish you all best. Cars can be a pain but satisfying when you're done the job.