Unsteady exhaust/engine noise when accelerating

Sherlock101

Paid Member
Hi Guys,

When accelerating hard in 3rd gear I get what sounds like a strange exhaust note/engine noise. When accelerating hard in 2nd I get a normal exhaust/engine constant sound like waaaaah, when I accelerate in 3rd It goes waaaawaaawaaaawaaaa into fourth back to waaaaaah, it only seems to do it above about about 3/4000, and there’s seemingly no change in acceleration, maybe a little slower in 3rd but could be my imagination!!

Any help would be appreciated, might try and get a video later to aid my dodgy description...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random, like a stutter or missfire but not quite. Maybe plug it in and see if anything comes up with as an error. Id be tempted to check plugs and coils too, see if theres anything obvious.

Random, like a stutter or missfire but not quite. Maybe plug it in and see if anything comes up with as an error. Id be tempted to check plugs and coils too, see if theres anything obvious.

this!

check plugs first - simple/easy

When I changed my plugs, they were not bad but the first (closest to cambelt) was almost soaking in oil. I hadnt had many issues but had a small oil leak from the two black bolts behind the first coilpack. This had drained into the hole and disintegrated the seal on the coilpack that sits halfway down along with the rubber shroud at the bottom. Bought a second hand one just for the rubber bits for £5 from eBay. After changing plugs it felt better, idled better, felt a little more responsive but not massively.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Finally sorted this issue... change your spark plugs on time kids! Changed them at 69,500 miles, so within the service schedule time, but from their condition looks like they've never been changed! The cars supposed to have a 'Full Service History' according to the log book, makes you wonder what other things have been missed/neglected... :think:

Attachments

• IMG_8692.jpg
    IMG_8692.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Shouldve been more clear, I meant if they were changed at 36k miles, then I was within the service schedule because every 36k miles would be 36k, 72k etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxspeed