Ultra Red Clio 197 - Correction Detail (Menzerna & Britemax)

I was a little nervous about doing this car - it was attempted by a Pro recently and he was unable to correct it, despite removing around 6 microns of paint. I said I'd have a go and see what I could do, but really didn't expect to be able to achieve anything near perfect

The car itself is owned by a member on Detailing World, so it arrived in pretty good shape - the interior was immaculate, it had been clayed recently and all of the shuts and sills were very clean.

Process was as follows:

- Wheels Pressure Washer rinsed, then hand cleaned using I4D Wheel Cleaner, RaceGlaze brush and Envy brushes
- Arches scrubbed with Megs Super Degreaser and brush
- Tyres scrubbed with brush and Megs APC
- Wheels rinsed

Then, all of the car was snow foamed using Duragloss 901 (I find that this cleans better than the dedicated Snow Foams and clings much better than Hyper Wash). Whilst the foam solution was doing its thing, I cleaned all of the shuts, sills, petrol cap and grilles with another Envy brush.

P1010146.jpg

Then:

- Washed with Zym0l caddy, Duragloss 901 and Zym0l sponge
- Dried with Eurow towel and Optimum Instant Detailer

Here's a couple of pics after it was cleaned and dried.

P1010148.jpg

P1010150.jpg

On to the correction work. The paint itself was VERY swirly in places, and there were a number of scratches scattered around the car in various place, particularly on the rear bumper, the door sills and the passenger rear wing. Here's a pic of the general swirling:

P1010133.jpg

After testing a few combinations, starting with Lime Prime on a Yellow 3M pad, and various other combinations, I finally settled on Menzerna 203S on a white Menzerna Compounding pad.

Now, I expected to have to finish down with either a finishing pad and 203S, or PO85RD and a finishing pad, but I can honestly say that the white pad and 203S did a GREAT job. I spread the polish at 900, worked it at about 1800, then refined at 900.

I achieved around 95% correction. There were a few deeper RDS which I chose not to go after (it's not worth sacrificing the clearcoat, which the owner agreed with) and oddly the middle part of the bonnet was a pig to correct, so it wasn't perfect (top, middle third - any ideas?)

After polishing, I used the Britemax 4/5/6S combo. First up was #4 Black Max Glaze, which I applied using a Britemax #4 4" pad via DAS-6. This was removed, and followed up with the #5 Sealant, again applied by DA using a matching #5 Britemax Spot pad.

I was VERY impressed with the Britemax trio. They apply wonderfully well, and even work in direct sunlight, which was ideal for today's conditions.

After removing #5, I used #6S QD for a general wipe down, then I dressed the tyres and plastics with CG NLTG, and cleaned the glass using Megs Glass Cleaner Concentrate.

The end result - please excuse my pics, I am still learning how to use my new Panasonic camera:

P1010169.jpg

P1010177.jpg

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010181.jpg

P1010182.jpg

P1010185.jpg

P1010190.jpg

P1010172.jpg

This was one of the first correction details I had done for a fellow detailing enthusiast, but the owner seemed to be delighted with it.

I was very pleased with the end result, and feel I have learnt a fair bit from this particular detail

Thanks for reading.

Russ.

what a fantastic job you have done,

those end results are trully amazing,

i would love to be able to get those kind of results, :roll:

im just an A/G man at the minute, :lol:

Russ thats stunning! You know you're supposed to be helping me do mine soon..... how do you feel about me supervising instead?! PM me :smile:

good work 8-) 8-) 8-)

just in the process of giving mine a quick spruce up and it started to rain.......so will finish it off tomorrow :roll:

RussZS said:
Sorry mate, I need to update my profile.

I'm just north of Birmingham, just off J10 of the M6

Russ I dont live too far away and wouldnt mind some tips etc on best way to get the right results with the products I have got. :smile:

Sean said:
Russ thats stunning! You know you're supposed to be helping me do mine soon..... how do you feel about me supervising instead?! PM me :smile:

Thanks Sean - happy to do yours still mate - when do you get her back?

I might even have some Swissvax Crystal Rock by then too... which should be special.