Track day tyre wear - Overinflated?

Graham200

Paid Member
I made it up to knockhill last month for my first track day in the Clio.

Had a set of Goodyear Asymmetric 3 tyre with about 1,000 miles of road wear, almost new.

After 20 mins or so, I checked the pressures and let a couple of psi out of the tyres, more on the passenger side (clockwise circuit) to maintain 32 psi.

I washed the car today and got a good look at the front o/s tyre, the tread has worn in an angle i.e. not flat. This is noticeable on the middle treads (see attached photo).

Anyone seen this before? I'm thinking I may have over/under inflated. Going back to knockhill in a couple of weeks and keen not to make the same mistake again.

Thanks all.

20181020_160808.jpg

As long as tread wear is even across the tyre that’s just something you have to accept in trackdays and yes it will kill tyres mega quick but it’s one of those things

Measure the depths from peak to trough of the tread all the way across and generally you’ll have a little less on the left hand side of the tyre but not a dip in overall tread height in the centre (over inflated) or the outside both edges (under inflated)

I'll measure the peaks v troughs and compare.

The middle three treads haven't worn square. They're more worn at one side than the other. So they're now angled, if that makes sense. I've drawn on the photo below to show.2748dcc1e946730ab16f355753b846b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'll measure the peaks v troughs and compare.

The middle three treads haven't worn square. They're more worn at one side than the other. So they're now angled, if that makes sense. I've drawn on the photo below to show.View attachment 129487

Yes I could see that from the original picture, it’s hard cornering and deformation of the tread blocks that does it, so it’s pretty much as I said, it’s more noticeable when tyres are newer as the tread is taller and deforms more

Reactions: Graham200
Cool, I see now.

There is a hairpin at Knockhill, a hard right hander, the front left was spinning on the exit quite a bit so that probably didn't help.

Cheers