Track Day Oulton Park

Garysp2

Paid Member
Managed to get the car finished for a track day at Oulton park yesterday, what a blast.
Far too many years between this and my last car track day, although i have been doing them on the bike for the last few years.

Spent the last few weeks prepping the car for yesterday, mainly basic checks and service items
Did relocate the battery to the inside of the car, fit the Pure Motorsport linkage system and stripped some more weight out.

Car performed so well, very surprised how good the 197 is, handling and brakes are amazing, could do with a bit more power, but more than happy with how it is at the moment.
Struggled all day with selecting fourth gear, missed 3rd a few times, then lost everything except reverse, 5th and 6th, after a few adjustments to the linkage managed to get it all back, but 4 was still a pain to select. Strange as it will select when cruising along on out laps, but as soon as i pushed it it become difficult, had to be really firm with it to engage gear.

Lets just say it was 'mildly moist' in the morning, which made it interested as i was running semi slicks.....................few nice front wheel drifts to keep me entertained.
Track dried before lunch and got faster all day, tyres then came into their own and performed well.

Now the fun begins, lots more bits to buy...........
coilovers are first on the list, the current H&R springs aren't unto it for me
braided hoses are needed, fluid change and some brake cooling
exhaust, its bloody loud, needs either a centre box or resonator.......not sure which
spare set of wheels with wets.
full bush change, everything needs doing
geo set up
mapping and full engine set up

Any advise or suggestions welcome................!

Attachments

• IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5746.jpg
    IMG_5746.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5770.jpg
    IMG_5770.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5772.jpg
    IMG_5772.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 32
  • 49a907a1-262f-40ab-8e4a-71c9de9067e7.JPG
    49a907a1-262f-40ab-8e4a-71c9de9067e7.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 32
Hey Gary, saw and heard your car flying around the track, sounds fantastic along the pit straight. i too have picked up a 197 partly stripped ,running but no clutch, slowly turning it into a track car so ill be interested in following your mods, put a clutch in other day and while the subframe is on floor contemplating doing all the bushes but cant wait to try it out first just in case something major is wrong.
i was in the white M2 by the way
KRF_2653.jpg

It is a bit loud isn't it, how i got through noise test i don't know!!
cars taking a back seat now until the new year, work gets in the way, although i managed to pick up a set of wheels today.
getting them all booked in for powder coating.

id definitely get the bushes done whilst its in bits, they are on my list along with the coil overs, hopefully santa will be kind to me this year.

your M2 looked mint on the track, catch up with you in the new year.......