Track Day Fuel Storage

Tarticmonkey

Paid Member
Slightly random one but not quite sure where to post this on the forum.

What are people using to take extra fuel to trackday's?

Currently im doing about 75 litres on a day. This is typcially filling up whilst driving to the track, filling up with a 5 litre Jerry can and then the 20 litre vp fuel jug and trying to get the most from the day before rolling to a petrol station on fumes to get me home.

Filling up at lunch tends to be a none starter for me (Growing lad and all that). But in all seriousness majority of tracks ironically aren't near fuel stations with premium fuel.

Anyway the reason for the post.

I'm tight- I like my VP fuel jug but bought it a few years ago when prices were less. And £42 delivered seems steep for what it is. What other options are people using to bolster fuel supply for trackdays? Or should I stop being tight and stump up the money for another VP jug?

Also how much do folk tend to take to trackdays?

Also additionally to this. Does anyone run any octane booster or additives to fuel as well? I only ever run V Power or momentum but ran 102 in Germany which the car seemed to like. Hence the question. Quite easily could be placebo.

I normally fill up at lunch time with a quick trip to a local petrol station. Sometimes that means settling for 97 octane.

The last time I was at Snetterton I forgot to put on the number plates and got petrol with some worn track tyres. Thankfully the petrol station is only a few hundred metres from the grounds of the track.

Ah yeah tbf Snett's has a service station on it's doorstep. I forgot about that! I

That could have resulted in an interesting conversation with the local constabulary though!

Reactions: burrellbloke
Jerry cans. Funnel their contents into your VP jug when you fill the car.

Cheap, just as quick.

Also. I’ve ran mine on fuel from the track various times, and never noticed any difference.

Cheers mate. Appreciate the not on Jerry cans. Only concern is them leaking. Is that not really a worry or is that just the Aldi specials?

And thanks for the point re fuel. I’ll just stick with v power

Jerry cans. Funnel their contents into your VP jug when you fill the car.

Cheap, just as quick.

I do this.

Typically fill the car up on my way to track plus take 2 x 20 litre Jerry cans. VP jug and a tractor funnel to do the filling.

I do tow though, so space isn’t an issue.

I’m a bit lazy, in that once I’m on site I can’t be arsed leaving again to get fuel. I’d rather stay on site and have my lunch and a bit of a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
I bought (from Amazon) what were described as “25L JERRY CAN - UN Approved Stackable Bottle Container”.
They are kind of rectangular and stackable. Also easy to attach with bungee and lashing straps in a trailer.
BTW - I was told by 1 petrol station that the most I could fill it with was 10 litres but another garage let me fill it up.
I also have bought a cheap fuel syphon that saves getting petrol everywhere. Works a treat.

I do this.

Typically fill the car up on my way to track plus take 2 x 20 litre Jerry cans. VP jug and a tractor funnel to do the filling.

I do tow though, so space isn’t an issue.

I’m a bit lazy, in that once I’m on site I can’t be arsed leaving again to get fuel. I’d rather stay on site and have my lunch and a bit of a break.

Perfect thank you. Good comment on a space in fairness. I’ll have to do some planning to see if could fit the extra fuel in the first place thinking on!

Out of interest are you filling the vp jug as well out just leaving it empty?

Fully get the laziness comment too.

I only use the VP for filling, don’t think they are rated for storage of fuel

I bought (from Amazon) what were described as “25L JERRY CAN - UN Approved Stackable Bottle Container”.
They are kind of rectangular and stackable. Also easy to attach with bungee and lashing straps in a trailer.
BTW - I was told by 1 petrol station that the most I could fill it with was 10 litres but another garage let me fill it up.
I also have bought a cheap fuel syphon that saves getting petrol everywhere. Works a treat.
Again thank you. I will have a nosey at that!

The fuel stations round us seem to be fairly okay with us filling more than Litres at a time. The most annoying thing is that some have a set limit at £99 when filling.

I have had people who work at the petrol station run out asking what the vp fuel jug is and if it’s okay for fuel. As they’ve seen it previously during the fuel shortage of people filling all sorts.

Reactions: Banbury
I normally fill the car up on the way and then fill a pair of NATO Jerry cans. I've got a fuel funnel and just pour away, just make sure you're not in a windy area! Same thing as Iain though, I tow so space isn't an issue. I've looked into the VP jugs to fill but to be honest I'm a cheapskate and just take my chances with pouring into a funnel, I bought a "hands free" one off ebay and it's been spot on for the past few months.