Torque and Traction??

Just a thought but at 340ftlbs, anything other but a dry day and I'm really struggling for traction. Megs are the same, so wondering if 340'ish torques is the optimum power that realistically the Clio can handle through the front wheels????

Probably at the usable limit with 340lb any more it'll struggle on a dry day one would have thought. The Clio is fairly light upfront anyway.

Those 500+ bhp megs with massive torque are useless at low speeds for exactly the same reason, Too much power. I guess with your diff getting traction will be better though.

I'm not qualified to talk here but I was driving my mate's stock 250 on the wet the other day without esp and 1st/2nd gear were useless on 19'' wheels and premium rubber. With ESP on it was ''ok''ish but ESP bogs the car down anyway. I dare to think what happens with more power + torque on the Clio which is lighter!

On a dry day of course things change radically:wink:

So far since having the meg its been poop weather. Had the wheels spinning in 4th last night when i overtook on a dual carriageway.... Just want some nice dry weather :worried:

TBH on a dry day, its a different kind of problem. With that much torque, and the car suffers from 'wheel hop', same problem as with the RS Focus. Can't be good for the transmission and in fact, feels like its going to rip the front end out of the car (lol) RS Focus have a solution called Adrenaline Race traction kit. I'm thinking might have to beef up mounts and see if that helps....

Certain ecu's enable you to run a different map for each gear like a low boost for first and second and then full boost for third onwards etc essentially making it more manageable

I run gate pressure in first, then 0.8/0.9Bar second, 1.2Bar 3rd, 1.3Bar 4th upwards.

Its all done via boost controller, ktec were pretty interested when I mentioned it haha.

-Andy

Interesting stuff......any boost controller you'd recommend cause the can be quite expensive (and I'm a bit of a tight arse) lol

I drove a Astra gsi home from Manchester the other day in the wet witch had been played with a little probably 240-250 bhp baring in mind the chassis on these is pretty pants I managed to keep it well under control we all know that a Clio will put the power down a lot better than this so I don't think traction will be a big issue in a 197 I reckon it should be pretty good it even made me half dowt the need the need for an LSD as you'll drive it like a car with an open diff although LSD would be better