Top rated 197 tyres

i no this has been covered but I don't no if the same tyre choice applies to the meg conversion.
Thanks to a sinkhole last week I'm replacing the front tyres as they are shit anyway hope to have it megged in next four months so ought to allow for that if it makes much difference. I think everyone says conti 5's for 197?
Having had no experience long term with mine I've no idea what to go for. It won't be tracked although is a local airfield which does run what you bring so may try that once in a blue moon

I, as well as a lot of others, really rate the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy (2/3). Good all round tyre, however not so sure how it stacks up against out-and-out performance/track tyres? I would still imagine that the Goodyear would be a capable enough tyre, even with a Meg engine in, especially for (fast) road use.

I, as well as a lot of others, really rate the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy (2/3). Good all round tyre, however not so sure how it stacks up against out-and-out performance/track tyres? I would still imagine that the Goodyear would be a capable enough tyre, even with a Meg engine in, especially for (fast) road use.
Thanks jimmy, only tire selections I've had in last ten years are for my van or scenic!

Reactions: Jimmy
I imagine that there'll end up being quite a lot of different replies to this Steve :smiley: I don't think there is going to be a tyre that everyone agrees is 'the one to get'. I personally only have experience of the GY, so I'm bound to recommend that one, whereas someone will recommend the tyre that they have on their car!

Use all the suggestions as a guide, then pick one based on budget/brand you like/most popular etc. Each one will have its plus and minus points, but I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of the brands that will be suggested in the thread. We all like good quality rubber!

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
I imagine that there'll end up being quite a lot of different replies to this Steve :smiley: I don't think there is going to be a tyre that everyone agrees is 'the one to get'. I personally only have experience of the GY, so I'm bound to recommend that one, whereas someone will recommend the tyre that they have on their car!

Use all the suggestions as a guide, then pick one based on budget/brand you like/most popular etc. Each one will have its plus and minus points, but I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of the brands that will be suggested in the thread. We all like good quality rubber!
Very true arr @Jimmy we like nice rubber??????

Contisport contact 5s for me. Also they are highly rated in the Evo magazine tyre test which is good enough for me.

Contisport contact 5s for me. Also they are highly rated in the Evo magazine tyre test which is good enough for me.

I always enjoy reading the Evo tyre test, it's a good way to see the best rated options that are out there. And to find out where your personal choice of tyre ends up :smile:

Pretty much everyone is going to say the tyres they currently have on.

We have the OEM Conti's on right now. But they will be replaced with MPSS soon I think.

I always enjoy reading the Evo tyre test, it's a good way to see the best rated options that are out there. And to find out where your personal choice of tyre ends up :smile:

I agree, it's always an interesting read. It came down to GY or Conti for me. I'm tempted to try Yoko AD08s which they rated highly in the dry, but less so in wet conditions, but I can't help thinking UK weather means an all rounder is better here. I'm waiting to see how the new Michelin PS4 S gets rated although as yet it's not available in 17" diameter.