Top Mount Help for Bilstein B14s

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by suj, May 3, 2017.

1. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Hi all,

I need to now get my Bilstein B14s fitted, just a few questions regarding top mounts / bits I need.

* Top mounts, I think I am sorted for these (guy at work has a brand new genuine set in the garage from when he had a 197 last year)
    * I need top nut for the top mount (so I don't have to undo the standard suspension one), does anyone know the part number? Also I assume for rear too
    * How does the rear dampers mount onto the body at the top? I assume I will need these "top mounts" too?
    * For the rear dampers, I didn't have any bumpstops or dustcovers, do I need to purchase standard items or should they have come with the coilovers (pic below with what I got from Steve Murr).
    * If you look at the pic below, that is everything I got but I didn't get any instructions (any one have the instructions?) could anyone tell me what order the rings go, so I can pre-assemble before I fit.
    * Anything else anyone suggest doing? I was thinking of maybe doing anti-rotation links and ARB links while there, but anything else?

17349506_10154273025306625_1602547475_o_zpsun2dnjsw.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I like making sure I know everything before I start doing something like this lol.

Thanks in advance.

2. PAUL JA

PAUL JA Paid Member

Car:
    Company shed
    I remember when fitting the Billy rear dampers you have to drill out the mounting bush(es) to take the damper piston rod as its a larger diameter than standard

suj likes this.
  3. TB Rich

TB Rich

Car:
    Clio 200
    Rears:
    IMG_20170503_135741.jpg

Don't need to drill anything, just slip the rubber bush on which is 2-piece.

Fronts:
    IMG_20170503_135358.jpg

It's just a basic M12 nylock nut and C washer. 34Nm is what Bilstein list on another page. Iirc is Renault list 60Nm on their specs - tbh an impact wrench is the best way so couple of rattles and done.

suj likes this.
  4. PAUL JA

PAUL JA Paid Member

Car:
    Company shed
    "Don't need to drill anything, just slip the rubber bush on which is 2-piece"

The Oem rubber bushes at the rear had a metal insert and we had to drill them !

suj likes this.
  5. TB Rich

TB Rich

Car:
    Clio 200
    Very strange, didn't need to do anything to mine and no mention in the manual, just says fit original mounting parts according to sketch - perhaps you needed more elbow grease :wink: lol. Having said that I don't recall mine being stiff in the slightest so perhaps they thinned the spindles down, yours must have been one of the first B14 kits I guess?

suj likes this.
  6. PAUL JA

PAUL JA Paid Member

Car:
    Company shed
    I believe it was one of the first kits, so as you say they may have reduced the shaft diameter so the bushes don't have to be modified

suj likes this.
  7. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Thanks Paul, I'll keep eye out (why I want to get all bits beforehand, as I know what cars can be like haha).

Rich, that is amazing and I owe you a pint next time I see you mate!
    Could I be cheeky and ask if you can PM (or email) me a scanned copy of the whole thing? I'm in no massive rush, just will help when fitting / torquing up etc.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :smile:

8. TB Rich

TB Rich

Car:
    Clio 200
    Yeah no worries mate, PM me your email.

suj likes this.
  9. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Massive thanks to @TB Rich for sending over a copy of the Instruction manual for Bilstein B14, it is going to be a massive help :smile:

10. tcw

tcw Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    I don't suppose either of you could send me a copy?

11. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    PM your email address and I can

nick's likes this.