Top Mount Help for Bilstein B14s

suj

Paid Member
Hi all,

I need to now get my Bilstein B14s fitted, just a few questions regarding top mounts / bits I need.

* Top mounts, I think I am sorted for these (guy at work has a brand new genuine set in the garage from when he had a 197 last year)
* I need top nut for the top mount (so I don't have to undo the standard suspension one), does anyone know the part number? Also I assume for rear too
* How does the rear dampers mount onto the body at the top? I assume I will need these "top mounts" too?
* For the rear dampers, I didn't have any bumpstops or dustcovers, do I need to purchase standard items or should they have come with the coilovers (pic below with what I got from Steve Murr).
* If you look at the pic below, that is everything I got but I didn't get any instructions (any one have the instructions?) could anyone tell me what order the rings go, so I can pre-assemble before I fit.
* Anything else anyone suggest doing? I was thinking of maybe doing anti-rotation links and ARB links while there, but anything else?

17349506_10154273025306625_1602547475_o_zpsun2dnjsw.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I like making sure I know everything before I start doing something like this lol.

Thanks in advance.

I remember when fitting the Billy rear dampers you have to drill out the mounting bush(es) to take the damper piston rod as its a larger diameter than standard

Reactions: suj
Rears:
IMG_20170503_135741.jpg

Don't need to drill anything, just slip the rubber bush on which is 2-piece.

Fronts:
IMG_20170503_135358.jpg

It's just a basic M12 nylock nut and C washer. 34Nm is what Bilstein list on another page. Iirc is Renault list 60Nm on their specs - tbh an impact wrench is the best way so couple of rattles and done.

"Don't need to drill anything, just slip the rubber bush on which is 2-piece"

The Oem rubber bushes at the rear had a metal insert and we had to drill them !

Very strange, didn't need to do anything to mine and no mention in the manual, just says fit original mounting parts according to sketch - perhaps you needed more elbow grease :wink: lol. Having said that I don't recall mine being stiff in the slightest so perhaps they thinned the spindles down, yours must have been one of the first B14 kits I guess?

Very strange, didn't need to do anything to mine and no mention in the manual, just says fit original mounting parts according to sketch - perhaps you needed more elbow grease :wink: lol. Having said that I don't recall mine being stiff in the slightest so perhaps they thinned the spindles down, yours must have been one of the first B14 kits I guess?

I believe it was one of the first kits, so as you say they may have reduced the shaft diameter so the bushes don't have to be modified

I remember when fitting the Billy rear dampers you have to drill out the mounting bush(es) to take the damper piston rod as its a larger diameter than standard

Thanks Paul, I'll keep eye out (why I want to get all bits beforehand, as I know what cars can be like haha).

Rears:
IMG_20170503_135741.jpg

Don't need to drill anything, just slip the rubber bush on which is 2-piece.

Fronts:
IMG_20170503_135358.jpg

It's just a basic M12 nylock nut and C washer. 34Nm is what Bilstein list on another page. Iirc is Renault list 60Nm on their specs - tbh an impact wrench is the best way so couple of rattles and done.

Rich, that is amazing and I owe you a pint next time I see you mate!
Could I be cheeky and ask if you can PM (or email) me a scanned copy of the whole thing? I'm in no massive rush, just will help when fitting / torquing up etc.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :smile:

Massive thanks to @TB Rich for sending over a copy of the Instruction manual for Bilstein B14, it is going to be a massive help :smile: