To sell or not to sell

Sooooooo to cut along story short, I am considering/thinking do I sell my beloved 200? anyone else been in this situation?...

Situation is I love this little car, ive spent a feckin' fortune on it...its pretty much mint....however its in the garage looking pretty I rarely get to use it, as much as i love it i think is there much point in keeping it, I do know i would regret it if it did sell it.

I drove it yesterday and i'm reminded how great it really is, but its been niggling away at me for a while now....hmmmm ,what to do?...

My wife oddly would probably moan if I sell it as I moaned so long to have a second car...the car owes me nothing as such, well maybe a few sleepless nights and some hair loss, apart from that nothing.

So there is no real financial gain of course the insurance and tax would be nice not to have to pay for.

So over to you guys...

:blackdiamond:

Not the best dilemma to have is it!

Me personally, if it wasn't costing me anything that I couldn't easily afford, I would keep it. They are special cars and as you've pointed out, so much fun when you can get the chance to enjoy them. Would you regret selling it down the line on that one occasion when the sun is shining and you just fancy a blast in a special little hot hatch?? :wink:

If it was a drain on finances, then for me that's when a second car would have to go.

I can't help but think that if you sold it now, you'd possibly end up just buying another one in the future - you see so much of it with members joining/rejoining the forum, having done the same thing.

Reactions: kevlar
sorry but you not given a single reason why to sell!

keep it...i dream of 5/10 years time from now when all cars are turbo and automatic and i get into this pocket rocket! mmmmmmm i love it- Cars will never be the same!!! mines a keeper.

plus like you said, there is nothing you need to replace it with and the financial gain is minimal- you can always sorn it for a year to save costs.

think you only have something to lose by selling it.

You know my situation mate. My R27 rarely moves and has been SORN'd for the winter. My idea was to buy the 197 and sell the 182 but I can't part with it. So for 6 months of the year I have a 197 and a R1 sitting doing nothing. I can afford it so it doesn't bother me. As long as the bills are paid there is food in the fridge and we go at least one holiday a year the wife is sweet. Bottom line, can you afford it and what would give you the fun factor if you sold it?

Me personally, if it wasn't costing me anything that I couldn't easily afford, I would keep it. They are special cars and as you've pointed out, so much fun when you can get the chance to enjoy them. Would you regret selling it down the line on that one occasion when the sun is shining and you just fancy a blast in a special little hot hatch?? :wink:

If it was a drain on finances, then for me that's when a second car would have to go.

I can't help but think that if you sold it now, you'd possibly end up just buying another one in the future - you see so much of it with members joining/rejoining the forum, having done the same thing.

What he said ^

My dad sold his Caterham R300 a few years ago because it wasn't being used much in bad weather.

Says it's the biggest regret he has related to cars.

If you can afford it, keep it. Maybe even try to use it a bit more if you can.

Sounds like it's a pretty special one with all the work you have done on it, once it's gone you can't get another like it if you change your mind (And I bet you will)...

Yep no doubt if it was financial it would be gone!, being honest i'm just really questioning everything with my life, I had a modest star wars collection and I have sold 90% off! now selling my record collection which is insanity, but i just dont see the point in keeping it...think im just getting old!

My dad sold his Caterham R300 a few years ago because it wasn't being used much in bad weather.

Says it's the biggest regret he has related to cars.

If you can afford it, keep it. Maybe even try to use it a bit more if you can.

Sounds like it's a pretty special one with all the work you have done on it, once it's gone you can't get another like it if you change your mind (And I bet you will)...

Did i say ive owned this car once before already....if i was to buy another car it would be a convertible, damn I miss the drop top!

You know my situation mate. My R27 rarely moves and has been SORN'd for the winter. My idea was to buy the 197 and sell the 182 but I can't part with it. So for 6 months of the year I have a 197 and a R1 sitting doing nothing. I can afford it so it doesn't bother me. As long as the bills are paid there is food in the fridge and we go at least one holiday a year the wife is sweet. Bottom line, can you afford it and what would give you the fun factor if you sold it?

If i had your minter R27 i would keep it in my house...:french:

Reactions: LOCKE
Yep no doubt if it was financial it would be gone!, being honest i'm just really questioning everything with my life, I had a modest star wars collection and I have sold 90% off! now selling my record collection which is insanity, but i just dont see the point in keeping it...think im just getting old!

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from. The thing with selling/getting rid of personal collections/special cars/items etc, is that you bought them and kept them for all this time because they meant something to you - either a hobby, a passion etc. When I've sold something like this in the past, I've ended up regretting it and wishing I hadn't ever got rid. And in some cases buying replacements (much like you've already done :smile: ).

I realise a car is a different prospect to a collection of memorabilia etc, however if it's something you enjoy and covet, then I would think long and hard before giving it up.

sorry but you not given a single reason why to sell!

keep it...i dream of 5/10 years time from now when all cars are turbo and automatic and i get into this pocket rocket! mmmmmmm i love it- Cars will never be the same!!! mines a keeper.

plus like you said, there is nothing you need to replace it with and the financial gain is minimal- you can always sorn it for a year to save costs.

think you only have something to lose by selling it.

I could replace with a drop top - miss having a drop top!

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from. The thing with selling/getting rid of personal collections/special cars/items etc, is that you bought them and kept them for all this time because they meant something to you - either a hobby, a passion etc. When I've sold something like this in the past, I've ended up regretting it and wishing I hadn't ever got rid. And in some cases buying replacements (much like you've already done :smile: ).

I realise a car is a different prospect to a collection of memorabilia etc, however if it's something you enjoy and covet, then I would think long and hard before giving it up.

I think its an age thing to im just getting old!

It sounds like a luxury item to me Kev. You don’t need to sell financially but you’re not sure it’s an item worth keeping because it doesn’t get used much? Most luxuries are like that. Who needs an expensive watch that comes out once a month? Who needs a Star Wars collection etc etc...
No one.
But all of us would like things like that and have things like that. If it’s not taking up too much space and too much money then I’d keep it imo.
Good luck.

Reactions: ///M and Jimmy
I've had 15 odd cars and way over 30 bikes in my time. I dont hold alot of sentimental value with vehicles as such when the time comes. And life is short......

So IMO: if you have any hankering over wanting another / a different vehicle (maybe not now....but in the near future perhaps): Then do it. There will always be another 200 available if you wanna turn the clocks back.

BUT: if you're doing it because it crossed your mind once and you're really not sure as yet; then hold fire until you are sure. Its alot of effort to go to; to then change your mind later down the line......let alone finding one you know is sorted and 100%.