Tips for fuel tank removal?

Seasonal greetings to all.

I'll admit, that I don't have a clio sport, just a humble MK3 1.4 16v that refused to start on the 23rd of this month. I have managed to trace it down through trial and error that the fuel pump is knackered and have a replacement waiting to go on, thank's to GSF.

Having had a look through the access hatch under the rear seat, I'm glad to see that Renault in their infinte wisdom decided to make the hole too small to remove the pump through (unlike the Mk1's and Mk2's) and that the fuel tank needs to be dropped :thumb1:

I've found the workshop manual with how to do this, but it's always better to get first hand experience on this. Is it achieveable just on my own, or is it better to have 2 pairs of hands for this?

Any tips would be appreciated, as I will be doing this tomorrow (today has been raining)

If your handy with a spanner it's actually relatively easy. I've only done mine a month ago when I split the tank by running something big over!

First thing it's gonna make it a whole lot easier if its empty, I removed mine full and got a nice vpower shower. A car lift will be a massive help too.

Okay simply put:

Remove diffuser (If applicable)
Remove centre section of exhaust (or entire system if you have a one piece STD exhaust).
Disconnect fuel pump from interior access hole. At this point the fuel lines are not accessible to disconnect.
Remove clip from filler neck.
Remove rear part of brake lines.
There are four bolts at either corner of the tank. The rear two slightly trickier to access. Once these are removed the tank will drop.
At this point drop it a few inches only, this will give you access to the fuel lines to remove, simple squeeze and pull fittings.

Once it's on the floor remove the pump locking ring. This should be replaced along with the seal. IIRC £30 from Renault. Your supposed to align the arrows on the tank and locking ring when refitting but I couldn't get it tight enough for that, mine never leaked.

Reverse procedure to fit, the tricky part is getting the filler neck reattached whilst lifting the tank. Definately a two man job. Brakes must be bled!!!

Ben, thanks for the tips, managed to drop the tank enough to get access to the locking ring, old pump out and new one in and the car starts now. Oddly enough though, the old pump still powers up / spins so no idea why it wouldn't start, oh well happy chappy here :smiley:

Lets hope it wasnt a loose connection on the wire which could have simply been repaired by disturbing it lol.