That knocking noise recorded

I know a lot of people report the knocking sound from the 197 back-end.
Is this what it sounds like?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1lgfYrzcE[/YOUTUBE]
(phone chucked on the back seat)

0:22-0:24 and again at 0:44. It's more of a 'popping' almost.

I did post this in another thread but it's an old one. Maybe someone can identify this noise?

Cheers.

U will need to loosen 2 torque screws to make the adjustment. Be careful though. The screws are soft and easy to strip. Let us know how it goes

Where are the screws you mean, Shubz? I don't see any lose screws. Am I looking in the boot lid, or in the back wall of the boot?

It's near the bumper side. On either side of the catch (the bit which catches the boot lid). U need a 90° torx screw driver, as its not possible with a straight one. If you still don't get it, I will post pics tomorrow.

Peace

If its not the boot, it'll be the centre exhaust hanger

I had this and it drove me mad. Its a weird set up, but an easy fix.

Basically there is a mount which can be adjusted on 2 axis. All you need to do is readjust it so it all sits centrally. Mine was off line as we had to drop the exhaust when i had a new fuel pump. 100% fixed mine and it sounded like the vid. Honestly it drove me mad, even had my gf driving me round whilst i was in the boot, rear footwell trying to diagnose it!

If someone has Dialogys and has a pic, i'll try and show how it needs to sit.

Cheers all.

Gaz, TBH I think it is the exhaust. Sounds more like it than the boot.
Is this mount covered by the diffuser? Ie. it's a diffuser-off job...

I will check the screw situation in the boot catch too though.

no the mount is underneath near the rear passenger footwell. Mine sounded like your vid. It MUST all line up centrally

Just listened to that again on decent speakers. I'd put VERY good money on that being the centre mount as i said earlier. Mine sounded exactly like that.

Me and my dad had the car on a ramp yesterday to pin the source of the noise down.

There was only slight movement in the exhaust, but we moved the heatshield well out of the way and everything looked fairly tight.
Noise still continued. Thanks for the suggestion though Gaz.

I have another theory though - when you smack the fuel tank from under the car, something bounces. As if it has a plastic ball in it or something. Is it possible something has come loose in the tank and is causing the knocking? Is there meant to be something in there?

I'll try and record me doing it.

KJ, Gaz suggested to me to check the bracket under the car (about where the rear passenger footwells are) and make sure it aligns. It's a 10mm socket apparently.

Wont be the tank

Dude if you had the car on the ramp how come you didnt adjust it? It would have taken about two mins!

My exhaust felt solid, and i couldn't recreate this noise with shaking the exhaust, but a quick realign of this centre mount sorted the job 100%

If someone could post a diagram of the full exhaust system and the mounts involved i'll show what needs to be done.

Trust me :wink:

Last edited: