synchro rings 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear

peter

POTM Winner - February 2017
hi,

i'm offered strengthened fifth and sixth gear synchro rings (supposed to be genuine renault parts) to replace third and fourth gear rings. anybody in here know if the rings for those gears are interchangeable? it's the first time i hear about strengthened (renault) rings as well.

cheers
peter

The latest Renault synchros are steel, I fitted new 3rd and 4th from Renault.
I wouldn't like to guess if the baulk rings from 5th and 6th would fit 3rd & 4th, but given that you can get stronger ones in the correct fitment on those gears, probably not worth the hassle of trying IMO.

The latest Renault synchros are steel, I fitted new 3rd and 4th from Renault.
I wouldn't like to guess if the baulk rings from 5th and 6th would fit 3rd & 4th, but given that you can get stronger ones in the correct fitment on those gears, probably not worth the hassle of trying IMO.

yeah, thought so. you don't happen to have the parts numbers for those steel 3rd and 4th synchros? thanks for the quick reply.

I'd also like to know these part numbers if you have them?

Does anyone have any experience using the new steel synchros?!

I knew there was a good reason I delayed paying out for a gearbox rebuild :wink:

Sorry no part numbers, the gearbox firm handled it for me.
Though I would expect the part number to be the same as usually the revised parts keep the original numbers.

Sorry no part numbers, the gearbox firm handled it for me.
Though I would expect the part number to be the same as usually the revised parts keep the original numbers.

too bad. last time i asked the renault dealer they didn't mention the steel ones. i'll ask again. thanks anyway.

I've emailed Wests Renault in the hope they can confirm too, if not I'll ring round a few other dealers and see

cheers mate. it'll be much easier to convince the dealer to get me the steel ones, if i can give them a parts number. :smile:

No idea. It will only be for the standard Renault part. Not sure if it's been superseded and replaced. However... there won't be two different versions. If the material has changed it would be a revision and the old part being replaced or altered. So the only version would be the one I posted.

Still no reply from Wests Renault so I'll give them a call when I get a chance but have emailed a few more dealers!

Looking at that french thread it sounds like the synchro rings were made of carbon when they got them back then (2013) so lets hope that's not still the case as I'm sure I read something about them being rubbish on a an old thread here