Symptoms of split flexi

While I was doing my lower engine mount, I noticed the underside have a bit of black soot, is that a sign of split flexi? Don't seem to have the blowing noise tho.

If that's the case what's the cheapest way to get it fixed?

Mine started quiet and progressively got worse. Ended up snapping at the flexis and where to pipes join the gasket. Cheapest way to fix is to buy 2 flexis on eBay (bosal 265-567) and get someone to weld in place. I'd also strengthen the joins at the gasket, as that is prone to go at the same time as the flexis.

When mine went it was blowing very loud and all of a sudden, I just had a look at the old one and there is a little black soot in the flexi I'm afraid too say, I don't know what else it could be around there to get onto there other than a hole. If its not blowing then its not a problem surely?

I got a manifold for £100 and cost me £320 to get it fitted.

Edit, took a picture of my broken one for you. can't see it that well but theres soot in there, when i put my finger in there it came out black
Photo on 03-07-2014 at 16.30.jpg

Last edited:
Thx guys. Will have a look again, haven't notice a split but just soot around the underside really. It could be me just panicking too much

If it was split you'd hear it. Probably a tiny hole and you can't here it as its muffled with other exhaust noise.

I have just replaced the manifold due to split flexi. These are the symptoms i noticed.

Lower than normal MPG
Slight blowing sound (worst at around 2500 rpm)

Then one day, it just went totaly.

Bad blowing noise, It just didn't sound healthy.
Looking underneath past the cat, could see fraying on the flexi pipe
reaching down through the engine bay, running my fingers around the flex pipe i could see soot on my fingers. (Caution can be sharp bits of frayed wire down there!)
MOT emissions test - Mine was pretty close to failing on the HC test, probably due the the flexi being before the lambda sensor, so the car was injection more fuel that it needed.

Picture i took from under the car, looking up past the pre cat.. You can see the flexi is frayed.
IMAG0077[1].jpg

Flexi after i took out the manifold, Split in 2 differn't places:

IMAG0116[1].jpg IMAG0118[1].jpg