Suspension refresh Eibach springs?

SimboRS

Paid Member
Hi guys, I’m going to be refreshing my suspension on 73k miles and my 200 cup dampers need replaced Iv got dampers and top mount from rpd but now considering putting new springs in at the same time.
How do the eibach springs compare to the 200 cup springs in stiffness? Like the idea of a subtle drop the eibachs will give but want to make sure they are as stiff or hopefully a touch stiffer than the cup shocks to take out a bit of body roll.

It's been covered many times.

Here's 2 posts i've done on the springs and the dampers:

Reactions: Sean197
Thanks for your help.

Did you find the eibach springs stiffer than the ones on your r27? Ideally I want to know if the eibach are stiffer than 200 cup springs which are already a stiffer than a 197cup.

This is where it gets hard to compare Iv read threads where they have stiffend up
A ff car but really want a direct comparison of 200cup vs eibach with 200cup dampers

Stiffer isn't better you know? Most of us think Cup suspension is too much for road driving, if it's track only they're not stiff enough and for the road they're too stiff.

Eibachs are progressive, which means they have varying stiffness through displacement, this means you can get a nicer ride over smaller displacement like day-to-day driving, but they then get stiffer as displacement increases, like when you're pushing on like into corners.

If you want stiffest and worst ride, go for H&R, but the drop is too much for OEM dampers so then you get a lot less damping.

Also in answer to your question about "are they stiffer" you can't really compare them, two different spring types.

Why I went for non-cup dampers and Eibach Springs on my current 197, as the R27 was too stiff on country lanes, I am way quicker in my current setup.

Stiffer isn't better you know? Most of us think Cup suspension is too much for road driving, if it's track only they're not stiff enough and for the road they're too stiff.

Eibachs are progressive, which means they have varying stiffness through displacement, this means you can get a nicer ride over smaller displacement like day-to-day driving, but they then get stiffer as displacement increases, like when you're pushing on like into corners.

If you want stiffest and worst ride, go for H&R, but the drop is too much for OEM dampers so then you get a lot less damping.

Also in answer to your question about "are they stiffer" you can't really compare them, two different spring types.

Why I went for non-cup dampers and Eibach Springs on my current 197, as the R27 was too stiff on country lanes, I am way quicker in my current setup.

Yes I understand that stiffer isn’t always better but i kind of wanted to know if they were stiffer or softer than my current set up before purchase. I dont find the cup set up too stiff for the lanes but my dampers are worn and the car is a bit bouncy maybe the worn dampers are contributing to body roll. I don’t want the car slammed by any means that’s the attraction of the eibach springs it’s a modest drop (should only be 13mm front and 18mm rear) that should work with new cup dampers. I Also believe the oem front springs are progressive and the rears are linear. So the difference being the eibach rears would be progressive too and possibly ride a bit smoother

Just after more info so I can decide to just keep my 11year old cup springs or if it’s worth changing/upgrading them to new eibach ones

Sorry you're right, the fronts are progressive, it's been years since I did the research, anyways here's the thread with all the information you need, on first page is a reply by Troopy, he states the front progressive rates (and the rear linear rates).

Then last post on page 2 is what the Eibachs are, so you can use this info to make a decision

Last edited:
Sorry you're right, the fronts are progressive, it's been years since I did the research, anyways here's the thread with all the information you need, on first page is a reply by Troopy, he states the front progressive rates (and the rear line rates).

Then last post on page 2 is what the Eibachs are, so you can use this info to make a decision

Awesome thanks a lot for your help. So ultimately they are stiffer but will progressively work up up to the maximum stiffness so probably give a more compliant ride on bumpy roads, sounds good to me.

Did you find the durability of them good on your car, no breakages? A friend of mine removed some grams springs from his 200 as they had rusted/sagged and found the diameter of the coil was a lot thinner than the oem spings he replaced them with.

So 1 side OEM spring broke, luckily a mate had a quite new spare, then the other let go a few weeks later, as I was doing a suspension refresh and the fact the Eibachs were cheaper than all 4 OEM springs, I went with them.

It's been 3 years and they look fine when i've checked them.

Reactions: SimboRS
I’ve got a set of Eibach springs from my 2012 200 in Essex if you’re interested in buying. Installed new in July 2019, and done around 6000 miles. Replaced them last month with some track focused coil overs.

I’ve got a set of Eibach springs from my 2012 200 in Essex if you’re interested in buying. Installed new in July 2019, and done around 6000 miles. Replaced them last month with some track focused coil overs.

Thanks for the offer but I have already ordered a set, plus my 200 is early style top mounts. How did you find them compared to the oem suspension? And what coil overs are you going for?

So 1 side OEM spring broke, luckily a mate had a quite new spare, then the other let go a few weeks later, as I was doing a suspension refresh and the fact the Eibachs were cheaper than all 4 OEM springs, I went with them.

It's been 3 years and they look fine when i've checked them.

thats good to know, Iv ordered a set figure it’s best toreplace the old springs for new whilst the dampers are getting replaced. Thanks for your help. Il update once Iv got them on

I found the Eibachs a little more bouncy than standard paired with my 75,000 mile cup shocks - but liked the ride height, and found them really good for more focused driving and on track.

I went for Gaz Golds as wanted the adjustable top mounts - they’ve totally changed the car. Kept it a roughly the same ride height, but very little movement at 50% front and back.

I ran Eibachs and Cup shocks on my 197 for a bit and they were great on the road, maybe a bit soft for my liking on track though, which is why I swapped them out for Cooksport springs and then eventually YellowSpeed coilovers.

I found the Eibachs a little more bouncy than standard paired with my 75,000 mile cup shocks - but liked the ride height, and found them really good for more focused driving and on track.

I went for Gaz Golds as wanted the adjustable top mounts - they’ve totally changed the car. Kept it a roughly the same ride height, but very little movement at 50% front and back.

My car is currently quite bouncy as I suspect my dampers are pretty much done at 11 years old and 73k so hoping new dampers resolve this. Did you find the springs/lower ride height took a bit of body roll out?

I ran Eibachs and Cup shocks on my 197 for a bit and they were great on the road, maybe a bit soft for my liking on track though, which is why I swapped them out for Cooksport springs and then eventually YellowSpeed coilovers.

Sounds good my car is mainly road car so wouldn’t want it too low or stiff, hope to do a few days at knockhill next year but I’d rather have a good road set up and be a bit soft on track than too stiff for the road

Just a little update fitted new cup dampers with Eibach springs at the weekend along with an ultra racing front strut brace new drop amd and anti rotation links, Very pleased with the results so far

Attachments

• 9F16BBE1-078D-4A1A-9E2D-16795FD16BC6.jpeg
    9F16BBE1-078D-4A1A-9E2D-16795FD16BC6.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 30
Glad you're happy with it, it's a great setup
[

Defo a nice subtle drop and less crashy on poor road surfaces. Debating spacers now to bring the wheels out a bit but it’s just looks really the car drives well

Reactions: suj