Subframe stiffener bolts/nuts

Andyyox

Paid Member
Got the exhaust manifold swapped on my 197 . Interesting job on the drive but it's in place and no more blowing

One of last bits I've got to put back on is the subframe brace/stiffener . The one at front held by 4 x 16mm nuts

However...until 5 minutes ago I didn't realise the studs where supposed to stay in the subframe... on the passenger side They didn't and came out with the nuts

Typically the captive nuts or bracket or whatever it is in the subframe have moved from the holes. So I've got no thread to put my studs into . Anyone who knows what I'm on about know there's no space to get in there and move the captive nuts/bracket

Anyone had this issue ? Any tips ?

I guess the arm is going to need to come out so I can get my fingers In. Easiest way to do this to get enough access ?

If I've lost anyone I will go get pics

Cheers
Andy

They can turn round inside the frame fiddle with small fingers in from the lower arm side if they are forced the plate between can get bent making it hard to get both ends poking through. I think from memory ones a nut onto a stud and the other a bolt
1589303333336.png

Reactions: Sean197
Anyone in a predicament who finds this post I removed the nut from the wishbone and pushed the bolt in a bit but not right through.

This allowed me to get my finger in and tease this bastard bracket back into the hole

Fun fun fun

• Haha
Reactions: av4625 and Sean197
I've had this before. Mine is actually only held on with two, because by the time I came to take it off there was only two on there anyway!

One went missing into the subframe somewhere and then I just replaced it with my own bolt

Absolute nightmare to undo though, have to have a spanner over the wishbone bush on a nut to hold it still haha. But it works

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is when you remove the bracket from the frame put the bolt and nut back on to stop the bracket moving and help from losing the bolts and nuts.

Reactions: Andyyox
Yes i definetly recommend that !

I didnt realise it was a loose stud/bracket inside the subframe until it was too late