Steering lock

michaelsyer

Gold Member
So got the steering not locked fault, got aa out they tried to jump me and it wouldn’t start with his jump pack on. Recently had my alternator changed as it died, could this have killed the battery and I need a new one?

Flooding to all with updates manèged to get it going he bump started me with a solid bar still got the steering fault, stop warning light on.

That is correct. Steering not locked message. Push start nothing happens. Going to get it plugged into diagnostics today. Shitty manchetts didn’t plug in when recovered it

the message means that the fuse for the starter has blown 25A in the fuse box behind the passenger headlight RHD now that can be caused by the heat shield on the starter motor touching the always live terminal on the starter. So that needs checked and fixed first there is a constant live to the starter with the fuse controlling the voltage to the solenoid to activated the starter. Follow the threads for manifold repairs and the car not starting after our friend from Finland suffered this and myself after changing the manifold and the heat shield not correctly positioned with the spring clips on the starter and solenoid barrel I think from memory it clips the the solenoid body. You will have to check the red positive battery plastic thingy there is fuses inside it as well.

Last edited:
the message means that the fuse for the starter has blown 20A in the fuse box behind the passenger headlight RHD now that can be caused by the heat shield on the starter motor touching the always live terminal on the starter. So that needs checked and fixed first there is a constant live to the starter with the fuse controlling the voltage to the solenoid to activated the starter. Follow the threads for manifold repairs and the car not starting after our friend from Finland suffered this and myself after changing the manifold and the heat shield not correctly positioned with the spring clips on the starter and solenoid barrel I think from memory it clips the the solenoid body. You will have to check the red positive battery plastic thingy there is fuses inside it as well.
Update.
Checked all fuses with a multi meter and all came back fine (I’ll pull the 20amp just to check it manually) I pulled a relay and put it back in everything disappeared started up fine, went for a drive got the steering fault come up. Got home turned off turned back and no fault on dash. I’ve got a picture of the relay I pulled

Attachments

• 7A17790D-2A8E-4EEA-BBED-7C7EEC914DBF.jpeg
    7A17790D-2A8E-4EEA-BBED-7C7EEC914DBF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 964912D6-EC72-428D-876D-94AA6314D5EF.jpeg
    964912D6-EC72-428D-876D-94AA6314D5EF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
If the starter heat shield has caused all this then it might be the reason your Alt was killed any update on your progress

Last edited:
Hang on are you getting the message "steering unlocked" or "steering fault" as the steering unlocked message means everything is fine for starting but the starter fuse has blown and the starter motor will not kick in to start the car. You will need the error code the car needs to monitor the cars speed hence ABS to control the steering assistance EPAS the document title below. This will be a fault of comms with the components or electrical power to the components but all these problems might just come back to the UPC the power switching unit behind the passenger headlight and if your car has busted inner splash guards and the current weather water damage is likely to the power switching unit which can be all your electrical problems.

1606660144396.png
1606661883750.png
1606662321665.png
1606662349841.png

Hang on are you getting the message "steering unlocked" or "steering fault" as the steering unlocked message means everything is fine for starting but the starter fuse has blown and the starter motor will not kick in to start the car. You will need the error code the car needs to monitor the cars speed hence ABS to control the steering assistance EPAS the document title below. This will be a fault of comms with the components or electrical power to the components but all these problems might just come back to the UPC the power switching unit behind the passenger headlight and if your car has busted inner splash guards and the current weather water damage is likely to the power switching unit which can be all your electrical problems.

View attachment 143054
View attachment 143055
View attachment 143056
View attachment 143057
I do have a smashed splash guard passenger side hit a frocking badger.

is yours a 197 or a 200 as there are none genuine guards for sale I was able to buy a full set for about £15 each all you need is the part numbers they are made from like a think polythene not as sharp edged or as rigid as the originals but better than without any cover all covers are necessary no matter how stupid they look or are. Although I don't see any for sale it was a German eBay seller that had them when I got them you will be looking for the 17" wheel options.

Clio parts catalogue link Clio 197 parts link

Hey just a little update. Got the new relay that didn’t work. Had a little look underneath didn’t see anything touching the starter motor but it was getting dark. Had the multi meter out and couldn’t identify any blown fuses. Had the computer out and the computer couldn’t connect to the car? The mechanic reckons it’s eco or the steering column itself.

Just little update sold the clio still not working, tried to bump her she wouldn’t bump start? It sounded like she was running but no power to any dials and she wasn’t actually running just noise from the exhaust?. Got any thoughts. I’m guessing no spark if it’s making exhaust noises since that would indicate the engine moving?

Have you checked to make sure the steering lock hasn’t come unplugged?

not being able to connect via obd would definitely suggest a fuse or wiring issue like Turkie said. You need get it to a garage.

Have you checked to make sure the steering lock hasn’t come unplugged?

not being able to connect via obd would definitely suggest a fuse or wiring issue like Turkie said. You need get it to a garage.

This was my thinking, I think you have missed this bit:

1607608742133.png

It's the red connector that goes to the battery on the left hand side, many people don't realise there is a fuse in there, check that.

But you said you've sold it now? If so none of this matters lol.

Reactions: RSRowe