Starting car with boot open?

Morning guys, me again with another random question haha

Apologies if this isnt in the right section, wasnt too sure which to put it in!

Basically, i have the battery in the boot, and the battery has been playing up past few days, i do plan on getting a new one of course, but need the car all week this week, got the jump leads with me, but i also know that i cant start the car with the boot lid open, and maybe abit of a faf getting jump leads through the car. especially with the cage in the way lol, is there any way to bypass the boot open error so i could start my car with it open?

TIA=)

Doesn't it start with keycard in the slot? Sorry it's been a while since I have tried.

ill be honest i havent tried! ill have a go at dinner time =), usually when i try to start it with the boot open, it flashes up on the cluster "Boot open", have to shut it before car starts

Yeah try putting the key in the slot and start as usual, I am pretty sure it does allow you start it.

You can definitely start the car with the keycard in the slot if the boot is open.

Reactions: suj
My input….. you definitely can’t start the car with the boot open on some cars, regardless of where the keycard is.

There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to the ones which do, and the ones which don’t.

• Haha
Reactions: suj
ahhhh so its not just me going mad then lol?! just been out and tried it myself and also CANT start car with either keyless or in slot with it open, which is where im wondering if there is a way to get around it =)

ahhhh so its not just me going mad then lol?! just been out and tried it myself and also CANT start car with either keyless or in slot with it open, which is where im wondering if there is a way to get around it =)

Find the switch for the boot and press it in to trick the car to think the boot is closed.

Owners manual states that the engine can be started with the key card in the slot if the boot is open. I seem to remember my old albi 197 didn't do it though:think:

My Albi defo don’t start with the key in the slot or out, just tried!!

Last edited:
I am going to try to start my Cup with the boot open later. It is a proper cup with an old fashioned key and not a key card.

I’m going to try mine too, I’ll have to open the aerocatches because all the lock mechanism and electrics have been removed from the tailgate. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the keyless disabled, so the key has to be in the slot. You can start the car in any condition. The boot lid thing is so someone, a child for instance, or car theif can't start the car while the key holder is putting their shopping in the boot.