Stall mid drive...

Im kinda new here, but i've been lurking around for some time.

So, i have a '07 Clio 197, and i was driving today and heard a rattling noise on 3-4k rpm, and i dismissed it as a loose cat clamp on the exhaust (recently changed, had similar noise a while ago and it was the clamp), so i kept driving and after 4-5km the car shut off mid drive, i tried to restart it while moving but it did nothing, so i i pulled over and tried to start again, i heard rattling from the front where the airbox sits, it wouldn't start still, i checked if my air intake hose was loose but it was fine. Tried several times more but i ended up draining the battery.

Anyone had similar issues? A few days ago all electricals went crazy, wipers, asp etc etc, and i concluded it was a loose clamp on the battery, replaced it and didn't have issues till now. I tried reading ecu faults, nothing came up, reset the ecu, still nothing.
Do you think this could be electrical or im stuck with something like a snapped cam belt?

Edit: also i replaced the knock sensor recently, which didn't throw any faults, now it does, but i haven't checked it for about 2 weeks so im not sure if it's connected to this or not

Last edited:
Update: mechanic took a look at it and the AC compressor blew up, bits went under the cam belt and it skipped a tooth (maybe more?) But the guy says valves didn't get bent.
IlI' replace the compressor and cambelt/water pump now and try running it and see how it goes.
I hope it ends up being much less catastrophic than it seemed at first

Reactions: lewishunter98
All sorted out, looks like that ac was braking it the whole time, i can feel more torque on the wheels
New compressor wasn't cheap tho, might be because i was in a hurry to get it up and running

I guess i was really lucky nothing major got smashed :smile:

All sorted out, looks like that ac was braking it the whole time, i can feel more torque on the wheels
New compressor wasn't cheap tho, might be because i was in a hurry to get it up and running

I guess i was really lucky nothing major got smashed :smile:

good

i have a compressor still in my parts bins - never clicked when you posted doh

Bought a brand new one, a bit less than 300€ with a friend in part sales, got a 3 year warranty on it tho

And to everyone who reads this, if you hear any ticking from the compressor pulley make sure to check it or you might end up like me, or worse :smile: