Springs on track

D11nyd

Paid Member
Evening everyone as the title suggests has anyone used just springs on the 197-200 when doing track days?

One of my shockers has burst so ordered some new genuine shockers and was thinking about getting some springs at the same time.

I know coilovers are the best option for track days but trying my hardest not to go to mad on this as I’ve come from a heavily track modified megane rs250 and want something cheap and cheerful to trash around the track

I’m after a bit of feedback from people who’ve actually been on track with lowering springs and what brand they’ve gone for.
The car is a clio 200 with cup pack so was also thinking about just seeing what the standard cup springs are like on track aswell maybe? Any feedback is

Cheers

Think people have used Grams Springs, @Big Ben back in the day!

but anything really should be ok, obviously some will affect the ride height and comfort

Reactions: D11nyd
Think people have used Grams Springs, @Big Ben back in the day!

but anything really should be ok, obviously some will affect the ride height and comfort

good shout on the grams, forgot I had them on my 1st rs250

it’s got to be out of grams, H&R or cooksport as I’d imagine the eibachs are to soft for The track

Will have a look at prices

I ran 200 cup shocks and H&R springs for years. Great fun on track

View attachment 154332

The limiting factor was the lack of camber adjustment on the front.

Great action shot!
Can’t wait to get it on track!

Completely different power to my last rs250 but I’m actually looking forward to driving the wheels off it!

I may do something like a camber top mount down the line but think I’ll just go for springs whilst it’s stripped down

I've the same combo like RSRowe mentioned on mine and it's ok. At least on normal tracks with a good surface. I don't know how the H&R's are through rougher parts like the "caroussel" on the Ring but would assume they pull fillings out from how they perform on rougher roads. Even a not properly aligned gully cover will shake the car like you've ran over a speed bump at higher speed. You'll also literally feel how this setup is trying to keep surface contact on roads with rougher uneven surfaces (it's "stuttering"). It's not dangerous in any way but feels at least slightly unpleasant. That said I "survived" over 5 years with this combo now.

Here's a shot of mine which is by far not as spectacular as Rowe's.

R1gDQRr.jpg

I've finally ordered a KW V3 Clubsport by now because I'm not really satisfied with the current setup anymore. It also comes with camber adjustment in the front. It's presumably one of the most priciest options but you know how the saying goes "If you buy cheap you buy and pay twice (at least)".

Sidenote: I don't know how good or bad Grams and others you've over there are because they aren't legal/common here from what I know.