Someone's hit my 3, what should I do?

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Went up to the bank on Saturday afternoon, parked up at the side of a small side street. Went to get out but saw some idiot in a Corsa reversing at high speed round the corner on the wrong side of the road so waited. He stopped near to the back of my car and let his mates out.

So I opened the door and got out, just as I did, he slams it in reverse and reverses in to the edge of my door. Had I been about a foot further in the road I would have been run over or squashed between a Corsa and a Mazda door!

I shouted and he slammed the brakes on, but hit the door, chipping away the paint on the very edge and cracking his tail lights.

But that wasn't the end of it, 3 Asians get out and a woman, start shouting a me for opening my door in him and saying 'are you going to pay for my light'? After arguing for a few minutes, I called the police, who didn't want to know unless he drove off with out leaving his details or hit me.

After a bit more of me being threatened to be beaten up and mugged, arguing between me, them and the guy who saw it all, they got in the car and drove off. So rang the police back and they said just to go in to the station and fill in a self reporting form.

But, I don't live far from where it happened, so I'm worried that if I do report it to the police and try to claim for the damage, (which tbh you can't see unless I open the door and point out and looks like I've opened the door against something rather than anything else) that it may cost me more in the long run if they see the car parked up and decide to rearrange something or smash the windows etc.

What's everyone else think?

Without proof claim would settle 50/50 thus being a fault claim and putting your insurance up so best of just to leave it

not the answer you want but reality sucks !

firstly glad your ok m8 secondly if it was me, id have bust out some chuck norris roundhouse kicks when they started kicking off lol, but it all depends weather you would be found to be totally innocent in the accident. am not a lawyer but it sounds like you were going about your business and the guy wasnt paying attention i wouldnt worry about them taking revenge unless there shady characters

Christ - what a bunch of muppets.

If the damage is very slight, as it sounds, I'd be inclined to just get it touched up and forget about it. Sounds like the police were as good as useless in the first instance so there's nothing to suggest they'll be any more help should you pursue it. That coupled with the fact that you certainly don't want any 'revenge' taken out on your car.

That's crazy - at least you're okay mate. Once you phone it in / that's that. 50/50 claim at best.

Similar happened to my mate and he called cause it wasn't his fault - they disputed it and it ended up being 50/50. From what it sounds like, these guys sound the same...

Also, if you're local then I personally wouldn't say it's worth it. I guess only you know what it's worth and how bad these guys really are/seem.

If it was me and the damage was < 3/400 I'd suck it up... Insurance route is so stressful and long winded and ultimately has a long term affect on your premium.

Sorry if this is poorly written, did I from my phone. :/

Gah, Arran you're having all the luck with this one aren't you!?! :worried:

If the damage is just superficial and hasn't effect the hinges or how the door sits in anyway then I'd leave it be. Like A20N said, unless you can get CCTV or whatever then there's no way of prooving fault and you'd lose as much as you'd gain through the insurance. Probably more so, they sound like a bunch of d!cks and I bet any claim you made would be met by three ''whiplash'' claims. Out of interest, was it an A-Road he was reversing on to? That being illegal and all...

Keep an ear and an eye out at night, keep his reg' number written down and if anything happens then at least you can give the Police something to go off. Hopefully nothing else will come of this now though.

After a bit more of me being threatened to be beaten up and mugged,

I'd be more reporting them for the threats as well as the damage to the car & driving off,

I hate scum like that they only ever go for it when in a pack, if you got his plate then they can go and arrest him but it's whether you wan't to go though giving a statement etc. and possible grief afterwards.

Seems this day and age worth recording everything on the phone.

:shout:F---king wan-ers sorry to hear Arran you don't need that hope you sort it soon

Ye, I think what you have all said is valid. The damage I can see is very minimal, I just hope I don't find out the door is hanging off or whatever next week! Lol!

I don't think they were the hardest men in the world, but 3 against 1 might have been a bit one sided. The thing I worry about the most is having the car damaged by them, or when the missus is in the car. She drives it more than me.

Ye, I think what you have all said is valid. The damage I can see is very minimal, I just hope I don't find out the door is hanging off or whatever next week! Lol!

I don't think they were the hardest men in the world, but 3 against 1 might have been a bit one sided. The thing I worry about the most is having the car damaged by them, or when the missus is in the car. She drives it more than me.

In that case keep the number safe, and let it lie. Not worth putting a loved one in danger for what it sounds like minor damage.

Buy a Clio :thumbup:

Seriously though mate I am glad you are OK. Some of the scum we live with they are less than reputable and it could have gone a whole different way even if they drive a sh*tbox, they tend to be the people with something to 'prove'...

In that case keep the number safe, and let it lie. Not worth putting a loved one in danger for what it sounds like minor damage.
Seconded. :/ It's a shame that the system is so corrupt and broken that this has to be the case...

Buy a Clio :thumbup:

Seriously though mate I am glad you are OK. Some of the scum we live with they are less than reputable and it could have gone a whole different way even if they drive a sh*tbox, they tend to be the people with something to 'prove'...

I think I will be back in a 197 or a 200 in the future Paul. I was thinking that I could sell the MPS, buy an early 197 is cash, pay off my loan and be about £230 a month better off. But I will probably wait until I get a house to downgrade (age and equipment wise).

This sucks mate. Think I agree with everyone else here that if you report it, you insurance company will mug you as well. What a sad state of affairs this country is in...

It does make me think more and more about getting cameras in the car full time; and within reason film everything that happens on my phone after the fact. Not sure filmed them would have cheered them up though.

Did you say you had a witness? Make sure you keep their details on hand in case you suddenly get a claim if they've remembered your reg.

Ye, I had a witness see them do it, then another witness who saw them threatening me too.

All mouth by the sounds of it. He could be thinking the same.. 'I was giving it loads with my mates but what if that Mazda driver sees me on my own'

I'd just get it fixed and forget about it if it just needs touching up. If it's going to be a ball ache to fix, he drove off from the scene of an accident and you have witnesses.

Similar Thread Suggestions