Snapped Handbrake / Passenger-side rear wheel stuck - help needed

Elviic

Paid Member
Hi All

I left my car on handbrake at work (had to pull it up fairly high) for about 8 hours. When I started driving, I realised that the left, rear wheel was stuck. The handbrake feels like it has snapped, there is absolutely no resistance when pulling it.

Had to stop in bloody Lidl car park. Tried pumping brakes, trying little stops to get the brakes off but no luck (looked like a right tosser). I poured some water on the brakes and they then started to slowly come off the disc, but they are still sticking, although not as bad....

I had to get home with starting and stopping as the rear left brake was sticking and smoking (only 5 min drive).

I assume that I will need to change rear pads, discs and the handbrake cable?

Am I correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Elvis

Hi All

I left my car on handbrake at work (had to pull it up fairly high) for about 8 hours. When I started driving, I realised that the left, rear wheel was stuck. The handbrake feels like it has snapped, there is absolutely no resistance when pulling it.

Had to stop in bloody Lidl car park. Tried pumping brakes, trying little stops to get the brakes off but no luck (looked like a right tosser). I poured some water on the brakes and they then started to slowly come off the disc, but they are still sticking, although not as bad....

I had to get home with starting and stopping as the rear left brake was sticking and smoking (only 5 min drive).

I assume that I will need to change rear pads, discs and the handbrake cable?

Am I correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Elvis
Hi mate my 197 handbrake cable on the off side was doing something similar during the freezing weather recently mine hasn't snapped but was not releasing the caliper. There shouldn't be damage to disc and pads as long as they were in good condition initially. Should just be cable change about 33 quid on rpd or 20 on eurocarparts.