Slicks

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by tombate911, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tombate911

tombate911 Paid Member

Car:
    2010 Clio RS200
    I know this is a very niche question but I know there will be some people on here with an opinion or with some experience.

I've got 3 sets of clio wheels at the moment

Currently running Rainsports x4
    set of part worn RSR x4
    one set of wheels with no tyres.

I want to move to slicks at some point on the clio. However my question is know a lot of people run slicks all around and i've also seen people running a slick and semi slick combination.
    I know that both tyres will come up to temp at different times and different rates however would it be beneficial running semi slick on the back of the clio as it's potentially harder to get the rears up to temp especially on a track day? Also both tyres will go off at different times due to temperature differences.
    I know a few megane people that do it so going to get their thoughts but wanted to ask on here.

2. jamesgw200

jamesgw200 Paid Member

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    If you have a bog standard car slicks will destroy it. Extra load on all joints. Everything would need up specing imo. Semi slicks are the best imo.

sevenfourate likes this.
  3. sevenfourate

sevenfourate Devotee of OCD Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue RS-200 / Citroen C2 GT
    Not sure what bushes, joints, bearings etc Tom is running.

But that was my exact same first thought....

4. jamesgw200

jamesgw200 Paid Member

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    i agree. Just look at all the extra struts race cars have for rigidity. Mainly down to the slick tyres and the amount of grip they give.

sevenfourate likes this.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    At CSF recently Paul from RST had an unbelievable megged Clio there. Was moaning that 340bhp wasn’t enough on slicks so looking for more power through a bigger turbo.
    Something to do with too much friction?? I was part earwigging and didn’t catch it all. Possibly couldn’t get fronts up to temp I’m not sure

6. Chris

Chris Bad cop Administrator

Car:
    LY 200t
    Could be the track also? Not enough high speed areas to keep the temps up? I recall this also..

7. tombate911

tombate911 Paid Member

Car:
    2010 Clio RS200
    @jamesgw200

Everything on the front has been stripped/rebuilt with black series polybushes and rose joints in some areas and gripper diff fitted, stiff valved coilovers for track work with 600/350 springs with coilover rear set up, Roll cage and 6 point harnesses. If it wears out it'll be replaced as it's only a track car that gets trailers to and from track days.

jamesgw200 likes this.
  8. Chris

Car:
    LY 200t
    Slicks expensive Tom?

9. A1axx

A1axx

Car:
    Clio 197 Race Car
  10. A1axx

A1axx

Car:
    Clio 197 Race Car
    It's not easy to use slicks correctly. A lot different to driving on treaded semi slicks.. Need commitment!

197 Meglio Racer ! http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-track-sprint-car-cup-racerified-and-now-boosted.53560/

tombate911 likes this.
  11. tombate911

tombate911 Paid Member

Car:
    2010 Clio RS200
    Lots of track day folk pick them up on the internet from the likes of race teams who have only done a short session on them so plenty of life left in for track days. Not cheap to buy new though!

12. Chris

Car:
    LY 200t
    Ah fair play! Good deal then :smile: